*IMPORTANT- Please read in entirety as there are insurance requirements and deadlines.
When preparing for college, no student plans to become seriously ill or injured. High health care costs can be a challenging obstacle, especially for students. Cornerstone University no longer practices a “hard waiver” insurance program except in the case of foreign students with an F1 visa. These students will be charged a fee for insurance that meets the requirements set forth by the federal government. All other students are required to show proof of health insurance at enrollment and again at every health service clinic appointment. Most students find it cost effective to remain on their parents insurance throughout their college years. If you are unable to stay on your parents insurance and are shopping for for insurance look for a plan that includes the following features.
Comparable insurance plans are required to include:
- Adequate primary medical care coverage within a 4 hour driving radius of the University for emergency and non-emergency illness and injury including follow-up care to emergency room treatment
- A primary care physician on record must be within a 4 hour driving radius of the Cornerstone University Campus
- Out of state HMO's and similar plans are not considered adequate coverage due to the fact that the benefits are very restrictive outside the home area
- A licensed and approved health insurance policy. Reimbursement/cost sharing plans will not be accepted as comparable coverage
- A United States customer service telephone number for benefit verification. International customer service telephone numbers will not be accepted
- Health insurance coverage for the whole academic year
- Coverage for both in and out patient psychiatric services that pays at least 60% of costs with a maximum per condition limit of no less than $50,000
- The plan must have a deductible of less than $10,000
- The plan must have a benefit maximum of at least $250,000 per condition
It is strongly suggested that comparable coverage includes:
- Coverage anywhere in the world, including medical evacuation or repatriation benefits.
- A nationwide network of providers for primary and specialty care.
THESE REQUIREMENTS MAY CHANGE AT ANY TIME WITHOUT PRIOR NOTICE.
If a foreign student has proof that he/she has comparable coverage they can “waive” out of the Cornestone Waiver Insurance Plan. A student must complete the waiver request by contacting Dave Emerson at email@example.com without exception.