Study the Bible, Explore God’s Word
Come and study the Bible alongside teachers and students who love to explore God’s Word!
This program stresses the literary and historical studies that illuminate the biblical text. Dedicated faculty equip our students with the tools to help them embark on a life-long discovery of faith and truth.
A unique feature of this program is our three tracks. Our students may pursue one or more tracks of specialized classes in Biblical Languages or Ministry or Philosophy. These tracks rest on the foundation of biblical studies in each of your academic years from the freshmen to senior experiences. View an example of our 4 year plan. Depending upon your vocational goals, you are able to tailor your own program!
The foundational program will enable you to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the content of the Bible, including its genres, structures and themes.
- Demonstrate knowledge of extra-biblical literature from the ancient Near East, prominent Mediterranean cultures (Egypt, Greece, Rome, etc.), and Jewish sources.
- Demonstrate through oral and written presentations an awareness of major issues for reading the Bible in light of history, literary genres, canon, historic theological and religious debates, and modern scholarly debates.
In addition, depending upon your supplemental track, you will be able to:
- Biblical Languages Track - Demonstrate proficiency in reading the Old Testament and New Testament in their original languages
- Ministry Track - Make meaningful connections between the biblical text and modern issues in the Church or para-Church organizations
- Philosophy Track - Make meaningful connections between the Bible and the philosophical traditions contemporary with it and later in the early church
What can I do with this major?
You will be prepared for any of the following fields:
- Biblical Studies
- Ministry and Missions
- Humanitarian Worker
- Teacher (may require certification)
What are some interesting classes I may take?
- Religions of the World
- Mosaic Literature
- Second Temple Literature & the Dead Sea Scrolls
- Pauline Literature
- Greek & Hebrew
What internships or partnerships are available with this program?
- Para-Church Organizations
- Research Assistantships
What are grads doing now?
SJ Wheelock - Graduate Student, Grand Rapids Theological Seminary
Kristopher Rolls -Graduate Student, Jerusalem University College
Anna Barnett - Pursuing Itinerant Speaking & Missions, Ludington State Park
Christian J. Crisostomo - Fellow in Assyrian Studies, University of California, Berkeley
Ryan Kortange - Ph.D. Student at Hebrew Union College