Testimonial quotes from students who attended previous CJI camps:
- “I really enjoyed the session. I liked it so much. I learned more here at one time than what I did in a high school year. It was great.”
- “It was cool. Thanks for your servanthood. I would like to help next year.”
- “Thank you for the great job you did in directing and assisting us with everything.”
- “I loved it. Thank you!”
CJI Provides Hands-on experience:
- Interviewing people
- Nonfiction story telling skills taught
- Sports, news, entertainment, opinion writing
- Digital photography, videography
- Creative writing, poetry
Other interesting activities you'll experience during this week:
- Live in a college dormitory
- Eat in the college dining hall
- The use of your own Dell laptop computer
- Organized recreational activities on campus
- Possibility of attending movie at I-MAX theatre
- Talk with newspaper reporters, editors, photographers
- Interact with newsmakers who speak at CJI
- CJI is for students who will have completed 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th or 12th grade by/before July 1.
- This residential camp is held the last full week of July each summer, starting on a Sunday afternoon and ending by noon the following Friday.
- Male and female students will be housed separate from one another
- Chaperones, 1 for every 12 students, will accompany students at all times
- Each student will have at least one of his or her stories published in paper
- Each student receives at least 25 copies of the CJI newspaper
- See application for cost to attend CJI
- Fee includes all meals, lodging, activities and study materials
- Enrollment limited to 24 students
If paid after March 1
$325.00 (institute fee) + $24.00 (activities fee)
$348.00 = total payment due upon acceptance
If paid before March 1
$300.00 (institute fee) + $24.00 (activities fee)
$324.00 = total payment due upon acceptance
Please submit a $25 application fee with your application for admission to CJI. This fee will count toward the institute fee of $325. In addition, a discount a $25 will be given to any student who brings a friend to CJI. The referred friend will also receive $25 off.
Sign up for CJI today!
Students interested in attending CJI are required to submit a two-part application, along with a deposit of $25. Instructions for application are described on the CJI Application Requirements page.
To complete the application, fill out the CJI registration form.
Send check, money order, or credit card information to:
CJI Executive Director
1001 E. Beltline NE
Grand Rapids, MI 49525
Please make checks or money orders out to CJI or Cornerstone Journalism Institute.
For more information, call 616.222.1504 or email firstname.lastname@example.org