Upon completion of the three addictions courses and the ethics course, you will need to do the following in order to receive the full certification:
- Find a practicum site that allows you to gain experience in the 12 Core Functions of alcohol and drug abuse counseling. The Michigan Certification Board has a list of approved sites. You do not have to be signed up for an official practicum course than an institution to gain the practicum experience in this area.
- Pass the IC&RC/AAODA examination.
- Complete 2000 hours of counseling experience working with AODA clients at a program licensed by the State of Michigan. The hands-on internship/practicum experience may count toward these hours if it was completed at a state licensed substance abuse program. See the MCBAP website for locations. There are many in the Grand Rapids Area.
- Apply for the Certification.
- Have already obtained your master's degree in counseling, social work, psychology or a related field. Please go to the Michigan Certification Board website at www.mcbap.com for more detailed requirements and certification processes. The CAADC application and materials are helpful as well.