The Master of Arts in Christian Formation is designed to develop basic competencies essential to the study of the Bible and related theological literature, while also nurturing knowledge and skill development in the enactment of educational ministry leadership.
- School: Grand Rapids Theological Seminary
- Division: Bible, Theology & Ministry
- Degree Type: Master of Arts
- Format: Residential
- Location: Grand Rapids
- Program Length: 2-4 years
- Credit Hours: 65
- Bible (15 credits)
- Theology (17 credits)
- Christian formation (24 credits)—Specialization (9 credits), ministry residency or thesis (8 credits)
- Career Options: Pastoral ministry, youth pastor, associate pastor, para-church ministry or Christian education
Program Learning Outcomes
With an emphasis on developing basic competencies essential to the study of the Bible and related theological literature, our Master of Arts in Christian Formation curriculum and course work requirements are designed to enable you to:
- Conduct basic biblical interpretation and application with reference to the English Bible texts.
- State a basic understanding of the primary elements of Christian theology.
- Demonstrate basic knowledge, values and practices essential to personal spiritual formation.
- Demonstrate basic competency in cultural intelligence and cultural exegesis.
- Demonstrate a distinctively Christian philosophy of spiritual formation that is informed by sound education theory and best practices.
- Exhibit the knowledge and skills necessary for the effective communication of biblical truth.
- Demonstrate proficiency to direct people, resources and programs necessary to the effective spiritual formation of individuals and communities.