OPPORTUNITIES IN GRAND RAPIDS
We have provided below a list of sites where you may complete your practicum and internship requirements. Most of the listed sites have accepted GRTS students in the past, however you do not have to choose a site from this list. We allow students at GRTS to find their area of passion and pursue a site that provides the most hands on experience for their needs. You must fill out and submit a Site Proposal Form to ensure that the site you have chosen fulfills our guidelines for approval.
- Bethany Christian Services
- Cornerstone University Counseling Center
- Healing Tree
- Lutheran Family Services
- Mel Trotter
- Ottawa Juvenile Facilities
- Kuyper College
- Area churches
- Christian and non-Christian schools
- Human resource departments
- Private counseling agencies
INTERNSHIP & PRACTICUM DETAILS
Practicum will include 100 hours of experience where you will gain a greater understanding of the work of a counselor. You will complete at least 40 direct client contact hours as you begin working with clients. The other 60 hours of practicum will include supplemental work (research, reading, case notes, supervision, etc.).
Internship will include 600 hours of experience where you will be doing the work of a counselor. You will complete at least 240 direct client hours (individual therapy, group therapy, assessments). The other 360 hours will include supplemental work (research, reading, case notes, supervision, etc.).
All practicum and internship students must have their own student professional liability insurance in place before they can register for these classes. You must maintain insurance coverage from the semester you register for your practicum or internship until you complete your program. We have provided below links to sample mental health insurance organizations. We do not endorse any one company, and you are free to secure insurance from other providers.
- Healthcare Providers Service Organization – This website has a quick search function for insurance prices. Select Michigan in the "Quick Quote – Individual" box, then select "Licensed Professional Counselor" from the professions drop menu and check the "Student" box under status.
- National Board for Certified Counselors Insurance Center
- CPH and Associates
- American Professional Agency Inc.