The Master of Divinity degree is the historical standard in academic preparation for both vocational ministry and advanced theological study. We designed our program to develop essential biblical and theological competencies in leaders of congregations and other ministries. The Master of Divinity degree is also an attractive option if you are interested in building a foundation for more advanced study.
The program emphasizes the study and interpretation of Scripture in the original languages, broad theological knowledge and the development of essential ministry competencies. Most students will complete 8 credits of Ministry Residency as part of the specialization. This will be both practical and applicable ministry experience.
- School: Grand Rapids Theological Seminary
- Division: Bible, Religion & Ministry
- Degree Type: Master of Divinity
- Format: Residential
- Location: Grand Rapids
- Program Length: 3-4 years
- Credit Hours: 94
- Greek and Hebrew language (35 credits)
- Theology (20 credits)
- Ministry leadership (13 credits)
- Specialization (15-17 credits)
- General electives (9-11 credits)
- Career Options: Pastoral ministry, youth ministry, mission work, church planter, Bible translator, non-profit ministry, leadership, chaplaincy or pastoral counseling
"A seminary education enlarges your heart, your mind and your peer group. It equips you to set the right goals for ministry and avoid doctrinal and practical traps on the way there.
"Three years of intense preparation is not too much for fifty-plus years of gospel ministry."
— Dr. Michael Wittmer
Professor of Systematic Theology