Upon successful completion of Cornerstone University's Teacher Education Division course work, Cornerstone students are eligible for the Michigan Teacher Certificate. The state of Michigan requires the passing of competency tests in the subject areas in which you are planning to seek certification.
State Certification Requirements
Additional requirements for teacher certification are as follows:
- Graduation date with required grade-point averages.
- Completion of internship portfolio.
- Certification recommendation from cooperating teacher and supervisor.
- CPR and first aid current certification on file.
- State survey completed and documented.
- Certification application completed online.
- Certification file is complete.
- Appropriate Michigan Test for Teacher Certification (MTTC) tests passed.
Association of Christian Schools International Certification
The Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI) offers free Certification for those who have completed EDU-230 and various Bible courses required in Cornerstone's core curriculum. This certification may be used for teaching in Christian, public and several international schools.
Traditional Undergraduate Applicants
Traditional undergraduate applicants must have:
- Completed all Cornerstone graduation requirements.
- Received a "C –" or better in all education courses (EDU classes) including Developmental Psychology and all teacher education-related methods courses.
- Appropriate grade-point averages.
Admitted to the Program Prior to the 2009-10 Academic Year
Traditional undergraduate applicants admitted to the Teacher Education Division prior to the 2009-10 academic year must have the following:
- G.P.A. of 2.5 or higher overall (cumulative).
- G.P.A. of 2.5 or higher in a major.
- G.P.A. of 2.0 or higher in minor(s).
Admitted to the Program During or After the 2009-10 Academic Year
Traditional undergraduate applicants admitted to the Teacher Education Division during or following the 2009-10 academic year must have the following:
- G.P.A. of 2.7 or higher overall (cumulative).
- G.P.A. of 2.7 or higher in a major.
- G.P.A. of 2.3 or higher in minor(s).
- Pass the appropriate Michigan Test for Teacher Certification (MTTC) subject area tests.
- Current CPR and first aid card at the time of certification.