Audio production allows you to tell stories through practical and creative uses of sound. Cornerstone stands at the forefront of enabling students to influence the airwaves of our culture through numerous interesting forms.
You'll focus on classes in mixing and mastering, post production, and live sound production in fully-equipped studios, learning the techniques necessary to deconstruct popular music production; develop your professional audio portfolio; engineer, mix, master and produce audio; learn audio post-production for film and television; and use industry standard studios and equipment.
- School: Traditional Undergrad Academics
- Division: Communication & Media
- Degree Type: Bachelor of Arts, Minor
- Format: Residential
- Location: Grand Rapids
- Major Credit Hours: 53
- Minor Credit Hours: 19
- Career Opportunities:
- Church media director
- Film post sound design and engineer
- Live audio engineer
- Music producer
- Recording studio engineer or operator
- Application Deadline: Rolling admission
- Fall semester—August 15
- Spring semester—January 1
Download a sample degree program for a major in Audio Production.
100% of Cornerstone University's traditional undergraduate students complete an internship experience.
Audio production majors have received hands-on, professional training as interns with these organizations:
- Corporate Sound
- Fenton Records
- Keys for Kids Ministries
- Out of Cinco Films
- Sound Post Recording Studios
- South Harbor Church
- Dave VanKeulen ('12) serves as the Tech and Programming Director at Impact Church in Lowell, MI, where he manages everything from live sound mixing to video content, lighting, and stage design.
- Sarah Schaefer ('11) works at Brilliance Audio in Grand Haven, MI, where she edits, mixes, and engineers audio book recordings.
- Mike Cervantes ('10) owns and operates a recording studio in Grand Rapids called The Foxboro.
Major Courses and Catalog
In addition to completing the university's core curriculum, the Bachelor of Arts in Audio Production degree requires the following classes:
- MDA-121 Intro to Digital Media (3 credit hours)
- MDA-151 Music Fundamentals for Audio Production (3 credit hours)
- MDA-161 A/V Tech Production (3 credit hours)
- MDA-261 Audio Production I (3 credit hours)
- MDA-262 Live Sound Production (4 credit hours)
- MDA-272 Deconstructing Popular Music Production (3 credit hours)
- MDA-281 Audio Production II (3 credit hours)
- MDA-363 Audio for Post Production (3 credit hours)
- MDA-380 Internship (4 credit hours)
- MDA-381 Mixing (3 credit hours)
- MDA-383 Mastering (3 credit hours)
- MDA-484 Music Producing (3 credit hours)
- COM-400 Capstone Seminar (3 credit hours)
- MDA-486 Capstone Audio Project (3 credit hours)
- MUS-460 Music Business (3 credit hours)
- Program electives (6 credit hours)
For course descriptions and graduation requirements, view the 2016-17 Cornerstone University Undergraduate Academic Catalog.