You probably know how important effective communication skills are in your life. What you may not know is how critical they are to your future career success. When you study Communication at Cornerstone, you develop relational and critical thinking skills that give you a competitive edge as you prepare for communication-related occupations and ministries. You’ll focus on building relationships and communities in a way that honors Christ and serves others.
- School: Traditional Undergrad Academics
- Division: Communication & Media
- Degree Type: Bachelor of Arts
- Format: Residential
- Location: Grand Rapids
The Communication major offers three concentrations, giving you the opportunity to select an area that aligns with a distinct vocational focus.
- Broadcast Communication - Tailored for students who enjoy public speaking and envision a career that deals with the electronic publics.
- General Communication Studies - Structured as a comprehensive, thorough approach to the field.
- Strategic Communication - Designed for students who desire to craft communication in business or non-profit settings.
- Non Profit Communications Director
- Personnel Recruiter/Manager
- Director of training and development or human resources
- Communication Consultant
- Media Relations Specialist
- On-air Announcer/Reporter
- Public Relations Coordinator
- Sales Representative
- Church staff member
- Director of University Admissions, Alumni Relations, Student Affairs
Download a sample degree plan for a major in Communication Studies.
- Advanced Public Speaking
- Announcing and Reporting
- Interpersonal Communication
- Communication Theory
- Social Media
- Nonverbal Communication
- Introduction to Digital Media
- J-Term Ireland Trip
- Chicago Semester
With a degree in Communication Studies, you will:
- Strengthen core communication skills in interpersonal, intercultural, and group communication and public speaking.
- Learn how to competently construct and professionally present messages to audiences in various settings - business meetings, small groups, interpersonal, and external publics.
- Develop practical and analytical skills for team and community building.
- Examine communication strategically through public relations, marketing communication, advertising, persuasion, and communication campaigns.
- Specialize in broadcast announcing, reporting and radio production.
- Aulbrie Sass ('14) served as a broadcast intern in Nairobi, Kenya, and with Make-A-Wish Foundation in Charlotte, North Carolina.
- Spencer Penfield ('14) held Positions as a Specialist at Apple in Grand Rapids, Michigan, and Social Media Manager for Cornerstone University.
- Caleb Drenth ('12) participated as an intern at Grace Bible Camp and now owns Crossfit in Whitehall, Michigan.
- Stephanie Mills ('12) works as a full-time Anchor/Reporter for KENS5 in San Antonio, Texas.