You probably know how important effective communication skills are in your life. What you may not know is how critical they are to your future career success. When you study Communication at Cornerstone, you develop relational and critical thinking skills that give you a competitive edge as you prepare for communication-related occupations and ministries. You’ll focus on building relationships and communities in a way that honors Christ and serves others.
With a degree in Communication Studies, you will:
- Strengthen core communication skills in interpersonal, intercultural, and group communication and public speaking.
- Learn how to competently construct and professionally present messages to audiences in various settings - business meetings, small groups, interpersonal, and external publics.
- Develop practical and analytical skills for team and community building.
- Examine communication strategically through public relations, marketing communication, advertising, persuasion and communication campaigns.
- Specialize in broadcast announcing, reporting and radio production.
- School: Traditional Undergrad Academics
- Division: Communication & Media
- Degree Type: Bachelor of Arts, Minor
- Format: Residential
- Location: Grand Rapids
A bachelor's degree in communication studies prepares you for a range of career options and graduate programs.
- Communication consultant
- Director of training and development
- Media relations specialist
- Personnel manager
- Personnel recruiter
- Public relations coordinator
From personable faculty to one-on-one advising appointments, we have resources to support you in reaching your goals and being successful in your classes.
See our sample degree plan for the list of classes you'll take as a communication studies major.
All traditional undergraduate students complete an academic internship or practicum. This experience helps you explore your calling and gain practical career skills.
With guidance from the Center for Career & Life Calling, our students land internships at trusted businesses and nonprofits around the world.
- Grand Rapids Civic Theatre
- Keys for Kids Ministries
- Make-A-Wish Foundation
- Partners Worldwide
- Townsquare Media
of traditional undergraduate Communication, Media and Music Division students from the class of 2018 were working or enrolled in graduate school within six months of graduation.
Importantly, our recent graduates also shared that they love their work. Of respondents, 84 percent reported a genuine interest in what they are doing.
Cornerstone alumni are tireless in their passion to influence our world for Christ as servant leaders. You can find CU graduates building lives that matter at workplaces based in West Michigan and beyond.
- Bethany Christian Services
- BI WORLDWIDE
- Mission India
- Sunset Retirement Communities and Services
- Youth Unlimited
College Is About More Than a Degree
At Cornerstone, knowledge is about more than memorizing facts. Here, you will develop a deeper understanding of people, life and God. You will conquer challenges, grow in wisdom and make more memories than you can count.
For seven reasons on why a four-year, liberal arts Christian college is a great choice and wise investment, download our guide.