You probably know how important effective communication skills are in your life. What you may not know is how critical they are to your future career success. When you study Communication at Cornerstone, you develop relational and critical thinking skills that give you a competitive edge as you prepare for communication-related occupations and ministries. You’ll focus on building relationships and communities in a way that honors Christ and serves others.
With a degree in Communication Studies, you will:
- Strengthen core communication skills in interpersonal, intercultural, and group communication and public speaking.
- Learn how to competently construct and professionally present messages to audiences in various settings - business meetings, small groups, interpersonal, and external publics.
- Develop practical and analytical skills for team and community building.
- Examine communication strategically through public relations, marketing communication, advertising, persuasion, and communication campaigns.
- Specialize in broadcast announcing, reporting and radio production.
- School: Traditional Undergrad Academics
- Division: Communication & Media
- Degree Type: Bachelor of Arts, Minor
- Format: Residential
- Location: Grand Rapids
- Personnel recruiter or manager
- Director of training and development
- Communication consultant
- Media relations specialist
- Public relations coordinator or reporter
A well-rounded list of liberal arts and major classes prepare you to excel as an innovative, character-driven professional. And trained advisers provide the personalized, strengths-focused guidance you need to thrive as a college student and complete your degree.
Download a semester-by-semester class planning guide. This shows how you can finish your degree in four years.
Here, 100% of traditional undergraduate students complete an academic internship or practicum. More than a graduation requirement, this hands-on opportunity helps you explore your vocation and gain the practical experience necessary for career success.
With support from campus resources such as the Center for Career & Life Calling, our students have landed internships at organizations such as:
- Grand Rapids Civic Theatre
- Keys for Kids Ministries
- Make-A-Wish Foundation
- Partners Worldwide
- Townsquare Media
Cornerstone graduates are influencers in their work, neighborhoods and world for Christ. You can find them building lives that matter in West Michigan and countries around the world.
Because of their broad knowledge base, major-specific skills and servant leadership qualities, they've contributed value to teams at:
- Bethany Christian Services
- BI WORLDWIDE
- Mission India
- Youth Unlimited