The Creative Writing program introduces students to the whole process of writing. We provide a wide range of courses – from creative endeavors to genre-specific writing courses such as poetry writing, creative non-fiction and fiction writing. The goal of each upper-level writing course is to produce "publishable" works.
- School: Traditional Undergrad Academics
- Division: Humanities
- Degree Type: Bachelor of Arts, Minor
- Format: Residential
- Location: Grand Rapids
- Major Credit Hours: 49-51
- Minor Credit Hours: 18
- Application Deadline: Rolling admission
- Fall semester—August 15
- Spring semester—January 1
The Creative Writing major and minor trains student writers in poetry, creative nonfiction, and/or fiction. Students develop process strategies for generating ideas, drafting and revising; learn and hone craft; and use reading strategies to study how the masters do craft. Students also can network through internships and conferences as they assume their place as literary citizens.
Possible Employment Opportunities:
- Creative Writer
- Professional Blogger
- Professional Proofreader
- Public Relations Writer
You can earn a Bachelor of Arts in Creative Writing degree in four years.
Download a semester-by-semester class planning guide to preview the steps required to complete your degree.
- Baker Publishing Group
- Cornerstone University Marketing Office
- Kregel Publications
- Mission Network News
- Zondervan Publishing Company
- Amy Nemecak serves as a Freelance Editor for Baker Publishing Group.
- Matt Saler works as a Web Content Specialist for Elexicon Inc.
Major Courses and Catalog
In addition to completing the university's core curriculum, the Bachelor of Arts in Humanities degree with a Creative Writing concentration requires the following classes:
- ENG-226 Introduction to Creative Writing (3 credit hours)
- ENG-315 Poetry Writing (3 credit hours)
- ENG-316 Fiction Writing (3 credit hours)
- ENG-317 Creative Non-Fiction (3 credit hours)
- ENG-320 Advanced Writing Workshop (3 credit hours)
- ENG-364 Writers and Styles (3 credit hours)
- Program electives (12 credit hours)
- HUM-382 Humanities Seminar—2 semesters (6 credit hours)
- HUM-481 Humanities Capstone (2 credit hours)
- HUM-482 Thesis (2 credit hours)
- Foreign language courses (9-11 credit hours)
For course descriptions and graduation requirements, view the 2016-17 Cornerstone University Undergraduate Academic Catalog.