A major in creative writing trains you in disciplines and habits characteristic of the writing life. It matures your understanding of craft, the writing process, creativity and story development. It provides advanced upper-level courses focused on producing publishable works in the genres of fiction, creative non-fiction and poetry. And it equips you to excel as an influential communicator.
Here, we take a holistic approach to vocational preparation because the values you bring to your work matter. From advanced writing workshops modeled after graduate-level courses to required seminars on post-graduation career opportunities, professors offer personalized feedback and guidance to support your growth as a writer and character-driven professional.
Why Cornerstone University?
- Expect more interaction with expert faculty. At Cornerstone, we intentionally limit class sizes because we value relational learning and collaboration. This means you'll receive more in-class attention from professors who are committed to seeing you thrive and care about you as a whole person.
- Build your writing portfolio. Submit your work for publication in Cornerstone's own student-produced literary journal, The Makeshift Review, and gain hands-on experience as a student editor.
- Attend on-campus workshops. Each year, Cornerstone hosts Breathe Christian Writers Conference, a two-day writing conference. This gives you an opportunity to meet area writers and learn how to pitch your work for publication.
- School: Traditional Undergrad Academics
- Division: Humanities
- Degree Type: Bachelor of Arts, Minor
- Format: Residential
- Location: Grand Rapids
A bachelor's degree in creative writing prepares you for a variety of career options and graduate-level programs.
For example, this includes jobs as a:
- Creative writer
- Professional blogger
- Professional proofreader
- Public relations writer
A well-rounded list of liberal arts and major classes prepare you to excel as an innovative, character-driven professional. And trained advisers provide the personalized, strengths-focused guidance you need to thrive as a college student and complete your degree.
Download a semester-by-semester class planning guide. This shows how you can finish your degree in four years.
Cornerstone graduates are influencers in their work, neighborhoods and world for Christ. You can find them building lives that matter in West Michigan and countries around the world.
Because of their broad knowledge base, major-specific skills and servant leadership qualities, our alumni have contributed value to teams at:
- Baker Publishing Group
- Barnabas Ministries
- MLive Media Group
of our 2016 creative writing graduates were working within six months of graduation.