The Early Childhood Education program provides a student with two options: a ZS endorsement or an Associate of Arts degree. For the ZS endorsement, a student will earn a minor which will then lead to the Early Childhood Endorsement on the Elementary Teaching Certificate in the State of Michigan. The Teacher Education Division is currently aware of several school districts in Michigan who will only hire teachers with their early childhood endorsement (early childhood minor as part of the four-year elementary education program) for lower elementary positions. Due to federal legislation such as No Child Left Behind, current focus on brain research and the importance of quality early educational experiences, this is a marketable and viable program for any elementary student to seriously consider.
The Early Childhood Program gives students the opportunity to become specialists who work and teach young children infant through age eight. Students are taught best practices and theory and then observe how these are applied through various levels of classroom involvement during the required field experience.
- School: Traditional Undergrad Academics
- Division: Teacher Education
- Degree Type: Associate of Arts
- Format: Residential
- Location: Grand Rapids
Graduates of our Early Childhood program are working in roles like:
- Teachers in Public Elementary Schools
- Child Development Centers
- Montessori Schools
- Head Start Programs
- Directors of Before/After Programs
- Early Childhood Curriculum
- Preprimary Methods and Materials
- The Young Child and Community
- Infant-Toddler Development, Methods & Practicum
- Field Experience
- Assessing & Teaching the Young Child with Special Needs
Download sample degree plans for a major in Early Childhood Education.