Many environmental biology programs give you great theory in the classroom, but getting into the field is the best teacher! With West Michigan as our backyard and excellent natural locations nearby, we study nature up close: sand dunes, forests, Lake Michigan, inland lakes, streams and wetlands.
Receive hands-on field experiences that make learning more effective and fun. Every year you will have a chance to travel and study diverse ecosystems like Yellowstone, Everglades, or Grand Canyon National Parks and even Ireland. You may find yourself taking courses in botany, exploring forests, conducting stream evaluations, travelling to Yellowstone National Park, researching white-tailed deer in the summer, doing research on a Lake Michigan research boat, and watching elk during mating season.
Environmental Biology at Cornerstone is hands-on, mind-on. Our course spend as much time outdoors as they do inside the classroom. Courses are designed to develop practical field skills in environmental biology to prepare students for careers in a variety of fields.
- School: Traditional Undergrad Academics
- Division: Kinesiology, Science & Mathematics
- Degree Type: Bachelor of Science
- Format: Residential
- Location: Grand Rapids
- Major Credit Hours: 51
- Career Opportunities: Our students are working with the Environmental Protection Agency, national parks as educational interpreters, state fish and wildlife agencies, environmental consulting firms, environmental chemistry laboratories, and at nature and outdoor education centers. For many careers in this field, graduate school is a requirement and students should be thinking that direction coming into the program. In addition, graduates have received placement in graduate programs at top tier universities such as Duke University and University of Miami.
- Application Deadline: Rolling admission
- Fall semester—August 15
- Spring semester—January 1
You can earn a Bachelor of Science in Environmental Biology degree in four years.
Download a semester-by-semester class planning guide to preview the steps required to complete your degree.
100% of Cornerstone University's traditional undergraduate students complete an internship experience.
Environmental biology majors have received hands-on, professional training as interns with these organizations:
- John Ball Zoological Park
- Michigan DNR Fish Division
- North Country Trails
- Waikiki Aquarium