An emphasis in cardiac rehabilitation prepares you to transition into a clinical exercise science setting. Designed to train you to serve patients who have experienced a heart attack, coronary artery bypass surgery, or are at risk for such an event, cardiac rehabilitation is a hospital-supported rehabilitation program.
You'll receive exposure to the distinctive aspects of Phase I, Phase II, and Phase III of cardiac rehabilitation, understanding stress testing laboratory duties. Phase I addresses the design of an inpatient program, aiming to provide patient education that allows patients to resume their daily routines. Phase II serves outpatient clients, scheduling patients to complete exercise therapy sessions each week and planning educational programming to address risk factors and lifestyle intervention techniques. Phase III exists as a long-term extension of Phase II, offering patients the option to remain in the program following the immediate medical need.
Beyond meeting the degree requirements for a major in Exercise Science, you'll complete six additional courses, gaining a comprehensive cardiac rehab internship experience in preparation for successful completion of the certification exam designed by the American College of Sports Medicine.
- School: Traditional Undergrad Academics
- Division: Kinesiology, Science, Engineering & Mathematics
- Degree Type: Bachelor of Science
- Format: Residential
- Location: Grand Rapids
In addition to gaining a sound knowledge of how the body moves and the physiological changes the body goes through when exercising, you will be equipped for positions involving:
- Administering stress tests.
- Design of exercise programs.
- Development of technical knowledge.
- Discussions concerning aspects of nutrition.
- Interaction with patients.
- Interpersonal and intrapersonal communication skills.
- Monitoring exercise sessions.
- Risk factor education.
A well-rounded list of liberal arts and major classes prepare you to excel as an innovative, character-driven professional. And trained advisers provide the personalized, strengths-focused guidance you need to thrive as a college student and complete your degree.
Download a semester-by-semester class planning guide. This shows how you can finish your degree in four years.
of all our traditional undergraduate students from the class of 2017 were employed or enrolled in graduate school within six months of graduation.
Our Kinesiology, Science, Engineering & Mathematics Division students receive admission to respected graduate schools.
- Andrews University
- Central Michigan University
- Concordia University Wisconsin
- Grand Valley State University
- Michigan State University
- Mount Mary University
- Spring Arbor University
- University of North Dakota
- Western Michigan University