Students in the exercise science major complete a rich curriculum with courses addressing anatomy and physiology, exercise physiology, biomechanics, measurement and evaluation, exercise prescription, injury prevention, nutrition and field internships. The student will gain a greater appreciation of how God designed the human body for movement.
With personal health and fitness occupying much of our nation's attention, exercise science is an excellent way to tap into a plentiful job market whose goal is the promotion of a healthier nation through exercise and fitness programs.
- School: Traditional Undergrad Academics
- Division: Kinesiology, Science, Engineering & Mathematics
- Degree Type: Bachelor of Science
- Format: Residential
- Location: Grand Rapids
In Exercise Science you can prepare for a career that may involve work in a variety of clinical or non-clinical settings. Alternatively, with proper advising, you can prepare for application to graduate programs in exercise physiology, physical therapy, occupational therapy, athletic training, physician assistant, medicine, nursing or other areas of health care.
- Cardiac rehabilitation programs
- Corporate and community fitness programs
- Health clubs
- Careers in sales or marketing of medical, fitness and sports-oriented equipment
From personable faculty to one-on-one advising appointments, we have resources to support you in reaching your goals and being successful in your classes.
See our sample degree plan for the list of classes you'll take as an exercise science major.
All traditional undergraduate students complete an academic internship or practicum. This experience helps you explore your calling and gain practical career skills.
With guidance from the Center for Career & Life Calling, our students land internships at trusted businesses and nonprofits around the world.
- Agility Sports Medicine
- The Center for Physical Rehabilitation
- Comprehensive Physical Therapy
- Orthopedic Associates of Michigan
- Spectrum Health
- YMCA of Greater Grand Rapids
of traditional undergraduate STEM students from the class of 2018 were working or enrolled in graduate school within six months of graduation.
Importantly, our recent graduates also shared that they love their work. Of respondents, 92 percent reported a genuine interest in what they are doing.
Cornerstone alumni are tireless in their passion to influence our world for Christ as servant leaders. You can find CU graduates building lives that matter at workplaces based in West Michigan and beyond.
- American Medical Response
- DAC Baseball
- Focus Physical Therapy
- Hackley Community Care Center
- MVP Sports Clubs
- Power Strength Training Systems
- Spectrum Health
Our Kinesiology, Science, Engineering & Mathematics Division students receive admission to respected graduate schools.
- Central Michigan University
- Grand Valley State University
- National University of Health Sciences
- University of Indianapolis
- University of Michigan
Career Guide for STEM Majors
Graduates of STEM programs are changing the world. To learn more about why you should consider an exercise science major and what you can do with a STEM degree, get our STEM-specific career guide.