Films can change us. The Film and Video Production degree program exists to create storytellers of excellence and influence. Through a multi-skilled, generalist philosophy, you'll learn the breadth of filmmaking and choose one area to study in depth, experiencing story from construction, idea generation and development, through image and sound capture, to the post-production reconstruction of the story in visual and audio editing.
As a Film and Video Production major, students can work in areas such as feature films, corporate and commercial filmmaking, church media, wedding and documentary film both in corporate production companies and as freelance media artists.
The type of careers revolve around the core skill sets – writing, directing, cinematography, sound recording and editing, visual designer, and postproduction visual editor or any form of media generalist that requires a mixture of these skills.
Download a sample degree plan for a major in Film and Video Production.
Students study story telling as a basis for all of the craft areas. Freshman and sophomore classes are connected with learning the skills, knowledge and attributes of the generalist filmmaker in both fiction and non-fiction film production. In the upper classes, students will take at least one production class per semester where they will choose their own content (fiction or non-fiction) and begin to develop a specialization in a craft area.
- Area Churches
- Feature Films or Short Film Productions
- Los Angeles Film Studies Center
- Production Companies
- Television Stations
- Dan Martinez ('10) currently works for 15Four, a branding video company, in Baltimore, Maryland.
- Katie Kregel ('10) is the director of media at a large church in Lansing, MI.
- Josiah Staggers ('09) is a freelance camera assistant and digital intermediate technician on film sets around Atlanta, GA.
- Katie Webb ('12) – Production manager – worked on several features such as Dogman, Rumors of War and the upcoming feature film Suspended
- Matthew Miller ('13) – Owner/Director ShadowShine Pictures specializing in corporate and wedding videos (www.shadowshinepictures.com).
- Christine Praniewicz (’11) – Recruiter for Disney Animation