The Cornerstone University Honors Program provides a unique opportunity for high-achieving students to engage with ideas through reading and discourse. The program features a four-year reading list of the ‘Great Books’ of the Western intellectual tradition, and seminar-style discussion led by faculty mentors. Honors Program students also serve as intellectual catalysts on campus, sponsoring and arranging speakers and events that give the whole community an opportunity to wrestle with and talk about important topics.
Which great works does the Honors Program reading list include?
The following is a sample of our four-year reading plan, though we are constantly revising and tweaking our texts to achieve the goal of a truly interdisciplinary and very intriguing set of texts to read and discuss.
What will I gain from involvement in the Honors Program?
For the student who joins the Honors Program, we promise at least three outcomes:
- First, you will have an opportunity to interact closely with faculty members in a discussion-style setting, which research reveals as one of the most beneficial and lasting experiences of the college years.
- Second, you will find a ready-made cohort of like-minded students who care about ideas (both old and new) and about clarity, but who seek to serve the campus community rather than to form an isolated clique.
- Third, you will be able to influence the whole intellectual tenor of the campus in your years as a student, through creating and fostering initiatives that are student-directed and student-focused, centered around the events at the Honors House and through other campus venues.
Who can apply to the Honors Program?
The Honors Program is open to any incoming freshman or transfer student with an ACT score of 28 or above (or equivalent SAT score) who completes an acceptable Honors application consisting of a few brief essays. Current students through the first semester of their sophomore year are also able to join, after an interview with one of the Honor's Program directors.
How can I apply to join the Honors Program?
- Application Deadline: March 1
- Notification of Admission to Program: April 1