Journalism prepares you to translate interviews, opinions, and reviews into persuasive, cogent articles and essays. As a journalism student, you'll practice skills related to gathering and evaluating content, learning to write for a variety of communication channels.
You'll learn to ask rich questions, weigh data against opinions, and provide vivid highlights of recent events, constructing accurate accounts for readers. In addition to drafting copy, you'll refine your editing and project management skills, graduating prepared to join extended members of the Cornerstone community as a reporter, photojournalist, editor, or campaign manager.
In the process of declaring a major in Journalism, you will select an emphasis in one of the following 6 concentrations:
- Broadcast Reporting/Producing
- Business Reporting
- Health Science Reporting
- News Reporting
- Sports Reporting
With options to study off-site, you'll sharpen your knowledge and experiences in the field, earning credit toward your degree.
- World Journalism Institute in Asheville, North Carolina. For additional information on this off-site study opportunity, visit www.worldji.com.
- Phillips Journalism Institute in New York City. For additional information on this off-site study opportunity, visit www.tkc.edu/news/phillips-journalism-institute-launches.
The Herald is Cornerstone's award-winning, student-run university newspaper. As a journalism student, you will gain hands-on experience on campus by contributing to the Herald and receive class credit for your participation in the production process.
- Tim Devaney ('10) | Reporter at The Hill in Washington, D.C.
- David Jesse ('97) | Education Reporter at the Detroit Free Press in Detroit, MI
- Kelly Gampel ('12) | News Editor at Homer Index
- Rachel Watson ('09) | Copy Editor at MLive and the Grand Rapids Press in Walker, MI
- Sarah Heth ('08) | Copy Editor at the Holland Sentinel in Holland, MI
- Ryan Wenger ('11) | Copy Editor at MLive and the Grand Rapids Press in Walker, MI
- Luke Stier ('07) | Executive Producer at TV-8 in Grand Rapids, MI
- Alyssa Helm ('13) | Copy Writer at Family Christian Stores in Grand Rapids, MI
Graduates of Cornerstone can be found writing for newspapers, serving as editors for publishing companies, producing footage for news stations, and submitting work as freelance writers. For example, our graduates have assumed positions as...