The learning disabilities major is designed to prepare individuals to teach students with learning disabilities at the elementary, intermediate or secondary levels. Graduates obtain general elementary or secondary teaching certification along with a K-12 Learning Disabilities endorsement. Courses and field experience focus on the inclusion classroom environment as well as the "self-contained" special education setting. This program will produce educators who are knowledgeable and capable of instructing students with varying experiences, backgrounds and abilities.
- School: Traditional Undergrad Academics
- Division: Teacher Education
- Degree Type: Bachelor of Arts
- Format: Residential
- Location: Grand Rapids
- Self-Contained Special Education Teacher
- Inclusion Teacher
- Special Education Resource Teacher
- Teacher Consultant
- Special Education Professor
- Homebound Teacher
- Curriculum Coordinator
- Education Director
- Intro. to Special Education and the Exceptional Learner
- Emerging Educational Models in Special Education
- Theories and Methods in Special Education
- Assessment and Diagnosis for Learning Disabilities
- Severe Reading Problems
- Current Issues in Learning Disabilities Education
Download a sample degree plan for a major in Learning Disabilities.
There are numerous professional opportunities which our Learning Disabilities graduates have taken advantage of. We have many former students teaching in resource, inclusion or "pull out" programs across the state of Michigan as well as around the country. Other graduates have taken their knowledge and skills overseas. These graduates instruct teachers in foreign countries on the best practices for meeting the needs of students with learning deficits. Some of our students have assumed positions of leadership in private organizations which address special populations, while others have been hired to write and/or edit textbooks associated with varying aspects of the field of special education.
Program Courses and Catalog
For course descriptions and graduation requirements, view the 2016-17 Cornerstone University Undergraduate Academic Catalog.