The linguistics major capitalizes on your knowledge of the structure and use of language. It equips you with a Christian theology of language learning based on linguistic hospitality. It trains you in the methods of language acquisition and techniques of linguistic analysis. And it empowers you to excel as a Christ-centered influencer.
Here, we take a holistic approach to vocational preparation because the values you bring to your work matter. From off-campus study experiences led by expert faculty to required seminars on post-graduation career opportunities in the humanities, our professors offer personalized feedback and guidance to support your growth as a character-driven professional.
Why Cornerstone University?
- Expect more interaction with expert faculty. At Cornerstone, we intentionally limit class sizes because we value relational learning. This means you'll receive more in-class attention from professors who are committed to seeing you thrive.
- Get involved in leadership development. Student-led organizations, clubs and initiatives give you the chance to apply leadership principles in meaningful ways. For example, Enactus works to address local and international needs with sustainable solutions.
- Expand your career options. Based on your vocational interests, take advantage of the opportunity to add a second major such as intercultural studies or history to your four-year plan. This further increases your marketability as a young professional.
- School: Traditional Undergrad Academics
- Division: Humanities
- Degree Type: Bachelor of Arts, Minor
- Format: Residential
- Location: Grand Rapids
A bachelor's degree in linguistics prepares you for a range of career options and graduate programs.
- Technical writer
From personable faculty to one-on-one advising appointments, we have resources to support you in reaching your goals and being successful in your classes.
See our sample degree plan for the list of classes you'll take as a linguistics major.
All traditional undergraduate students complete an academic internship or practicum. This experience helps you explore your calling and gain practical career skills.
With guidance from the Center for Career & Life Calling, our students land internships at trusted businesses and nonprofits around the world.
- Bethany Christian Services
- Hispanic Center of Western Michigan
- Kent County Literacy Council
- Wycliffe Bible Translators
of traditional undergraduate humanities students from the class of 2018 were working or enrolled in graduate school within six months of graduation.
Importantly, our recent graduates also shared that they love their work. Of respondents, 86 percent reported a genuine interest in what they are doing.
Cornerstone alumni are tireless in their passion to influence our world for Christ as servant leaders. You can find CU graduates building lives that matter at workplaces based in West Michigan and beyond.
- Bethany Christian Services
- National Park Service
Our Humanities Division students receive admission to respected graduate schools.
- Duke University
- Purdue University
- Institute of Christian Studies
- University of Michigan
College Is About More Than a Degree
At Cornerstone, knowledge is about more than memorizing facts. Here, you will develop a deeper understanding of people, life and God. You will conquer challenges, grow in wisdom and make more memories than you can count.
For seven reasons on why a four-year, liberal arts Christian college is a great choice and wise investment, download our guide.