In a time where there is yearning for both tradition and innovation, we think our primary responsibility is to help prepare the next generation of students for engaging the postmodern culture as competent, caring, and creative individuals. We invite you to join the movement that integrates ministry and creativity in everything we do. This program empowers students to become skilled professionals, seek emotional health for themselves and others, and use creative problem solving and design thinking in ministry.
The Ministry Program recognizes the need for specialization and allows each student to focus on a particular ministry interest. Therefore, students choose a specific ministry emphasis where all their coursework and projects will be directed. We offer a focus in youth, children, camping, sports, women, parachurch, young adult and urban ministries.
- Design and deliver a hermeneutically sound, experiential, participatory and communal lesson to any age group in any setting.
- Take a ministry in new directions using creative problem solving (CPS) and design thinking processes.
- Articulate a philosophy of ministry from a practical and theological perspective.
- Improve the emotional wellbeing of individuals and families using developmental, personality, and family system theories.
- Evaluate strategies currently used to foster transformation in impoverished areas.
- School: Traditional Undergrad Academics
- Division: Bible, Religion & Ministry
- Degree Type: Bachelor of Science, Minor
- Format: Residential
- Location: Grand Rapids
- Major Credit Hours: 50 (requires minor)
- Minor Credit Hours: 18
- Career Opportunities:
- Parachurch organizations
- Children's or young adult ministries
- Sports ministry
- Seminary or theological studies
- Urban, youth or camping ministries
- Application Deadline: Rolling admission
- Fall semester—August 15
- Spring semester—January 1
You can earn a Bachelor of Science in Ministry degree in four years.
Download a semester-by-semester class planning guide to preview the steps required to complete your degree.
100% of Cornerstone University's traditional undergraduate students complete an internship experience.
Ministry majors have received hands-on, professional training as interns with these organizations:
- Berkley Hills Wesleyan Church
- Gioventù in Missione — YWAM
- Solomon's Porch Community Church
- Sunshine Ministries
- Urban Family Ministries
- Youth for Christ
- Noah Filipiak (B.S. '04; M.A. '09) works as the Teaching Pastor at Crossroads Church.
- Josh Bishop is a Congregational Care Pastor with Mars Hill Bible Church.
- Miah Collins serves as a Missionary with J-Life Africa.
- Josh Andrews is the Pastor of Youth Ministry at Galilee Baptist Church.
- David McGovern serves as the Director of Youth Ministry with Ridge Point Community Church.
- Aaron Brown works as the Program Director for Beechpoint Camp.
Major Courses and Catalog
In addition to completing the university's core curriculum, the Bachelor of Science in Ministry degree requires the following classes:
- CMI-151 Lifespan Development — 3 credit hours
- CMI-221 Learning, Liturgy and Technology — 3 credit hours
- CMI-222 Poverty and Justice — 3 credit hours
- CMI-252 Interpersonal and Intrapersonal Relationships — 3 credit hours
- CMI-334 Spiritual Formation — 3 credit hours
- CMI-381 Internship I: Career Development — 3 credit hours
- CMI-382 Internship II: Teacher and the Teaching Task — 3 credit hours
- CMI-418 Capstone: Art of Ministry — 3 credit hours
- CMI-481 Counseling Families — 3 credit hours
- Program elective — 3 credit hours
- IDS-101 Creativity, Innovation and Problem Solving — 2 credit hours
Required Biblical Studies Minor
- REL-103 Biblical Hermeneutics — 3 credit hours
- REL-130 Old Testament Literature for BRM Majors — 3 credit hours
- REL-236 New Testament Literature for BRM Majors — 3 credit hours
- REL-33X Biblical Literature Course — 3 credit hours
- REL-354 Theology I — 3 credit hours
- REL-43X Biblical Analysis Course — 3 credit hours
For course descriptions and graduation requirements, view the 2016-17 Cornerstone University Undergraduate Academic Catalog.