The nursing program builds on your strengths to selflessly advocate for others. It trains you to manage patient information, process quick decisions and communicate scientific concepts with accessible language. It encourages you to offer hope at each stage of the healing process. And it equips you to excel as a compassionate, competent health care professional.
Why Cornerstone University?
A two-degree, two-step approach in partnership with University of Detroit Mercy's McAuley School of Nursing prepares you to serve as an emerging leader on the front lines of preventative health care.
- Learn to integrate faith and science. The nursing program offers a Christ-centered, liberal arts foundation. This allows you to engage culture and future workplaces as an influencer.
- Enjoy the benefits of urban living. Take in two Michigan cities during your college years—Grand Rapids and Detroit. Both acclaimed cities offer countless opportunities to network with health care professionals, engage diverse populations and partner with local ministries.
- Join a cohort of like-minded students. From the moment you arrive at Cornerstone, you'll be part of a cohort of students who will journey through the four-year nursing program with you, including your transition to Detroit for your third and fourth years.
Why University of Detroit Mercy?
The collaborative partnership between Cornerstone and Detroit Mercy, one of Michigan's premier academic institutions, is unique. It offers you the advantage to:
- Benefit from a seamless transfer process. Upon admission to Cornerstone's nursing program, you reserve your place as a transfer student at Detroit Mercy's McAuley School of Nursing. Contingent upon meeting initial and ongoing academic standards, you avoid uncertainty about having to qualify for a second application process as an upper-level student.
- Anticipate more from guaranteed clinical placements. During the second step of the nursing program, you'll have opportunities to complete clinical experiences at more than 13 health care agencies in and around Detroit, Michigan.
- Launch your career. 100% of Detroit Mercy's nursing program graduates receive jobs and/or admission into graduate programs.
- School: Traditional Undergrad Academics
- Division: Kinesiology, Science, Engineering & Mathematics
- Degree Type: Associate of Science, Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- Format: Residential
- Location: Grand Rapids, Detroit
The market demand for health care practitioners, technicians and nurses continues to grow at a faster rate than other occupations. The Bureau of Labor Statistics projects a shortage of 1.2 million nurses by 2020.
Completion of the two-step nursing program trains you for jobs in emergency rooms, doctor's offices, hospice care and medical research.
STEM majors are changing the world. Get our STEM career guide and see where you might fit.
A well-rounded list of liberal arts and major classes prepare you to excel as an innovative, character-driven professional. And trained advisers provide the personalized, strengths-focused guidance you need to thrive as a college student and complete your degree.
Download a semester-by-semester class planning guide. This shows how you can finish your degree in four years.