The B.Mus. is a professional degree program containing two-thirds music coursework and one-third general studies. This degree is designed for gifted individuals with a passion for revealing Christ's creation through musical artistry.
- School: Traditional Undergrad Academics
- Division: Music
- Degree Type: Bachelor of Music
- Format: Residential
- Location: Grand Rapids
- Major Credit Hours: 78
- Program Acceptance: Requires participation in a first semester jury exam.
- Career Opportunities:
- Professional performer
- Graduate studies
- Musical foundation
- Private music teacher
- Application Deadline: Rolling admission
- Fall semester—August 15
- Spring semester—January 1
You can earn a Bachelor of Music in Music Performance degree in four years.
Download a semester-by-semester class planning guide to preview the steps required to complete your degree.
100% of Cornerstone University's traditional undergraduate students complete an internship experience.
Performance majors have received hands-on, professional training as interns with these organizations:
- Opera Grand Rapids
- Local Churches
- Fellowship of Faith
Major Courses and Catalog
In addition to completing the university's core curriculum and professional education courses, the Bachelor of Music in Performance degree requires the following classes:
- MUA-XXX Applied Major — 16 credit hours
- MUA-XXX Applied Minor — 4 credit hours
- MUP-X01, X11 or X21 Large Ensemble — 8 credit hours
- MUP-131, 141, 151 Small Ensemble — 2 credit hours
- MUS-099 Performance Lab — 8 semesters
- MUS-113, 114, 213, 214 Aural Perception I, II, III, IV — 4 credit hours
- MUS-117, 118, 217, 218 Music Theory & Analysis I, II, III, IV — 12 credit hours
- MUS-171 Introduction to Music Technology — 3 credit hours
- MUS-221, 222, 225 Music History, Literature and Form I, II, III — 9 credit hours
- MUS-251 Basic Conducting — 3 credit hours
- MUS-314 Orchestration and Arranging — 3 credit hours
- MUS-317 Keyboard Harmony — 2 credit hours
- MUS-340 Junior Recital
- MUS-380 Internship — 3 credit hours
- MUS-432 Pedagogy — 2 credit hours
- MUS-440 Senior Recital
- MUS-441 Capstone Seminar: Senior Recital Project — 1 credit hour
- MUA/MUP/MUS-XXX Program electives — 6 credit hours
For course descriptions and graduation requirements, view the 2016-17 Cornerstone University Undergraduate Academic Catalog.