A professional performance degree allows students to specialize in commercial and contemporary Christian music. It is designed for the aspiring performer, songwriter and recording artist. Through this degree program, students develop solid technique and musicianship; strong performance ability; a working knowledge of current music technology; and a business and promotional plan for their career.
For pictures and videos from student's recitals, visit our Facebook page.
- School: Traditional Undergrad Academics
- Division: Music
- Degree Type: Bachelor of Music
- Format: Residential
- Location: Grand Rapids
- Total Major Credit Hours: 85
- Program Acceptance: Requires participation in a first semester jury exam.
- Career Opportunities:
- Music director
- Recording artist
- Touring artist
Download a sample degree plan for a major in Commercial Music.
100% of Cornerstone University's traditional undergraduate students complete an internship experience.
Commercial music majors have received hands-on, professional training as interns with these organizations:
- Circle Theatre (Grand Rapids, Mich.)
- Contemporary Music Center (Nashville, Tenn.)
- Lakeshore Arts Alliance
Major Courses and Catalog
In addition to completing the university's core curriculum, the Bachelor of Music in Performance: Commercial Music degree requires the following classes:
- MDA-272 Deconstructing Popular Music Production (3 credit hours)
- MDA-281 Audio Production II (3 credit hours)
- MUA-XXX Applied Major (16 credit hours)
- MUA-XXX Applied Minor (4 credit hours)
- MUP-X41 Contemporary Ensemble (4 credit hours)
- MUP-X01, X11 or X21 Large Ensemble (Chancel Singers, Chorale, Symphonic Winds) (8 credit hours)
- MUS-099 Performance Lab (0 credit hours, 8 semesters)
- MUS-113, 114, 213, 214 Aural Perception I, II, III, IV (4 credit hours)
- MUS-117, 118, 217, 218 Music Theory & Analysis I, II, III, IV (12 credit hours)
- MUS-171 Introduction to Music Technology (3 credit hours)
- MUS-221, 222, 225 Music History, Literature and Form I, II, III (9 credit hours)
- MUS-251 Basic Conducting (3 credit hours)
- MUS-314 Orchestration and Arranging (3 credit hours)
- MUS-315 Songwriting (2 credit hours)
- MUS-317 Keyboard Harmony (2 credit hours)
- MUS-340 Junior Recital (0 credit hours)
- MUS-380 Internship (3 credit hours)
- MUS-432 Pedagogy (2 credit hours)
- MUS-440 Senior Recital (0 credit hours)
- MUS-441 Capstone Seminar: Senior Recital Project (1 credit hour)
- MUS-460 Music Business (3 credit hours)
For course descriptions and graduation requirements, view the 2016-17 Cornerstone University Undergraduate Academic Catalog.