Our world needs Christ-centered influencers, professionals and musicians. A major in performance prepares you to seek careers in areas associated with music performance and full-time Christian ministry or to continue your studies at the graduate level.
Qualities for Career Success
Cornerstone University's academic programs reflect our commitment to develop your knowledge, skills and attitudes in five distinct yet interconnected areas: specialized knowledge, applied knowledge and collaborative learning, intellectual skills, civic and global learning and biblical worldview integration.
This means that successful completion of our Bachelor of Music in Performance degree program equips you to:
- Demonstrate a deep knowledge of musical form, function and performance artistry.
- Demonstrate deep understanding of musicianship skills.
- Demonstrate sufficient understanding and capability of form and analysis.
- Place music in historical and cultural context.
- Demonstrate rudimentary capacity for composition and improvisation.
- Demonstrate knowledge of history and repertory through to the 21st century.
- Possess a high level of instrumental and/or vocal competency to perform individually and collaboratively.
- Demonstrate technical skills requisite for a high level of artistic expression.
- Demonstrate understanding of repertory and ability to perform a cross section of it.
- Demonstrate ability to sight read with fluency.
- Demonstrate knowledge and skills sufficient to work as a leader.
- Demonstrate keyboard competency.
- Demonstrate collaborative competence through ensemble experience.
- Demonstrate your ability to integrate both traditional and non-traditional cognitive skills, including analytical inquiry, information literacy, quantitative fluency and communicative fluency.
- Demonstrate intercultural competence in addressing civic, social, environmental and economic issues.
- Articulate a Christ-centered worldview and its personal, professional and communal embodiment through Christian virtues.