A major in philosophy cultivates your skills in critical thinking, moral reflection and intellectual dialogue. It builds your knowledge of the philosophical tradition from the basis of a Christian worldview. It trains you to ask different questions, observe new connections between unresolved issues and apply interdisciplinary knowledge based on your broad range of interests in the humanities. And it capitalizes on your curiosity regarding the life of the mind, preparing you to excel as a thoughtful, well-reasoned influencer.
Here, we take a holistic approach to vocational preparation because the perspective and values you bring to your work matter. From off-campus study experiences led by expert faculty to required seminars on post-graduation career opportunities, our professors offer personalized feedback and guidance to support your growth as a character-driven professional.
Why Cornerstone University?
- Expect more interaction with expert faculty. At Cornerstone, we intentionally limit class sizes because we value relational learning and collaboration. This means you'll receive more in-class attention from professors who are committed to seeing you thrive and care about you as a whole person.
- Expand your career options. Based on your vocational interests, take advantage of the opportunity to add a second major such as business administration or psychology to your four-year plan. This further increases your marketability as a young professional.
- Get involved in leadership development. Student-led organizations, clubs and initiatives give you the chance to apply leadership principles in meaningful ways. For example, Enactus works to address local and international needs with sustainable solutions.
- School: Traditional Undergrad Academics
- Division: Humanities
- Degree Type: Bachelor of Arts, Minor
- Format: Residential
- Location: Grand Rapids
A bachelor's degree in philosophy broadly develops your skills, preparing you for success in a range of career tracks and graduate programs.
- Advanced writing and research
- Aesthetic understanding
- Critical reading and thinking
- Sensitivity to cultural differences
- Time and resource management
A well-rounded list of liberal arts and major classes prepare you to excel as an innovative, character-driven professional. And trained advisers provide the personalized, strengths-focused guidance you need to thrive as a college student and complete your degree.
Download a semester-by-semester class planning guide. This shows how you can finish your degree in four years.
Cornerstone alumni are tireless in their passion to influence our world for Christ as servant leaders. You can find CU graduates building lives that matter at workplaces based in West Michigan and beyond.
- Calvary Baptist Church
- City of Deer Park
- Compassion International
- L'Arche Clinton
- Living Waters Ministry
of all our traditional undergraduate students from the class of 2017 were employed or enrolled in graduate school within six months of graduation.