Cornerstone's philosophy major encourages curiosity about the mind. As part of our program, you will develop skills in critical thinking, moral reflection and intellectual dialogue. By learning to ask introspective questions, you can observe new connections between unresolved issues and apply interdisciplinary knowledge. You will graduate prepared to succeed as a thoughtful, well-reasoned influencer.
Here, we take a holistic approach to vocational preparation because the perspective and values you bring to your work matter. From off-campus study experiences led by expert faculty to required seminars on post-graduation career opportunities, our professors offer personalized feedback and guidance to support your growth as a character-driven professional.
Why Cornerstone University?
- Expect closer mentorship from expert faculty. At Cornerstone, we intentionally limit class sizes because we value relational learning and collaboration. This means you'll receive more in-class attention from professors who are committed to seeing you thrive and care about you as a whole person.
- Expand your career options. Based on your vocational interests, take advantage of the opportunity to add a second major such as business administration or psychology to your four-year plan. This further increases your marketability as a young professional.
- Get involved in leadership development. Student-led organizations, clubs and initiatives give you the chance to apply leadership principles in meaningful ways. For example, Enactus works to address local and international needs with sustainable solutions.
- School: Traditional Undergrad Academics
- Division: Humanities
- Degree Type: Bachelor of Arts, Minor
- Format: Residential
- Location: Grand Rapids
A bachelor's degree in philosophy broadly develops your skills, preparing you for success in a range of career tracks and graduate programs.
- Advanced writing and research
- Aesthetic understanding
- Critical reading and thinking
- Sensitivity to cultural differences
- Time and resource management
From personable faculty to one-on-one advising appointments, we have resources to support you in reaching your goals and being successful in your classes.
See our sample degree plan for the list of classes you'll take as a philosophy major.
of traditional undergraduate humanities students from the class of 2019 were working or enrolled in graduate school within six months of graduation.
Importantly, our recent graduates also shared that they love their work. Of respondents, 50 percent reported a genuine interest in what they are doing.
Cornerstone alumni are tireless in their passion to influence our world for Christ as servant leaders. You can find CU graduates building lives that matter at workplaces based in West Michigan and beyond.
- Calvary Baptist Church
- City of Deer Park
- Compassion International
- L'Arche Clinton
- Living Waters Ministry
College Is About More Than a Degree
At Cornerstone, knowledge is about more than memorizing facts. Here, you will develop a deeper understanding of people, life and God. You will conquer challenges, grow in wisdom and make more memories than you can count.
For seven reasons on why a four-year, liberal arts Christian college is a great choice and wise investment, download our guide.