Psychology is a discipline that has applicability in nearly every profession. Many psychology majors go on to graduate school to prepare for careers in counseling within private practices, agencies, schools and hospitals. Others who pursue advanced study in psychology go on to work as mental health consultants, professors, researchers and administrators. Due to students' preparation in understanding and working with diverse people, a psychology background is also appealing to employers in diverse areas such as professional ministry, medicine/health care, business (such as human resources and marketing) and nonprofit work.
- Faculty with decades of experience in counseling, school-based practice, and research.
- Students complete an original research project and APA research paper, with the opportunity to present at local, state and national conferences.
- Students from our program consistently score above the 90th percentile on the Major Field Assessment Test, a national standardized test of psychology majors in all different types of college and university settings.
- School: Traditional Undergrad Academics
- Division: Social Science
- Degree Type: Bachelor of Arts
- Format: Residential
- Location: Grand Rapids
Every psychology major at Cornerstone University completes a 3-credit internship in the field, where they are able to connect what they have learned in their studies to real-world challenges and problems. Students work with a faculty advisor to identify, plan and complete their internship experience according to each student’s interests and goals. Students may work in one of the following settings or can work with their adviser to plan an individualized internship in a setting that allows them to pursue their professional goals.
- Alpha Women's Center
- Bethany Christian Services
- DeVos Children's Hospital
- Pine Rest
- Wedgewood Christian Services
From Nicole McDonald, Professor of Psychology: "It is simultaneously a blessing and a challenge for me to be able to teach in the Cornerstone University psychology program. Bonds of friendship and mentorship are formed as, together, we think critically about the dominant ideas, trends and practices in the helping professions, holding each idea up to the light of God’s word. I have found many of the psychology students here to be committed to intellectual growth and Christian stewardship in a way that sets our students apart from others graduating into the profession. I often find that students’ ideas, perspectives, and creative solutions challenge me to learn and grow right along with them. Cornerstone University inspires me to continue to grow, create, and thrive as a teacher, learner and Christ-follower."
- Central Michigan University
- Michigan State University
- Spring Arbor University
- University of Michigan
- Western Michigan University
- Wheaton College
Psychology Degree Outcomes
Graduates of Cornerstone University's Psychology program are employed with organizations such as: