An undergraduate degree in counseling at Cornerstone University prepares you to support and encourage the health and development of children, adults and families in a variety of workplace and ministry environments. As a student, you'll examine, explore and critique psychological ideas, theories and applications from a Christian perspective. In addition, you'll apply what you learn in the classroom to work, volunteer, internship and professional experiences throughout West Michigan.
- Faculty hold decades of experience in counseling, school-based practice and research.
- Students complete an original research project and APA research paper, with the opportunity to present at local, state and national conferences.
- Students from our program consistently score above the 90th percentile on the Major Field Assessment Test, a national standardized test of psychology majors in all different types of college and university settings.
- School: Traditional Undergrad Academics
- Division: Social Science
- Degree Type: Bachelor of Arts
- Format: Residential
- Location: Grand Rapids
From personable faculty to one-on-one advising appointments, we have resources to support you in reaching your goals and being successful in your classes.
See our sample degree plan for the list of classes you'll take as a psychology major with a counseling concentration.
All traditional undergraduate students complete an academic internship or practicum. This experience helps you explore your calling and gain practical career skills.
With guidance from the Center for Career & Life Calling, our students land internships at trusted businesses and nonprofits around the world.
- Bethany Christian Services
- DeVos Children's Hospital
- Grand Rapids Children's Museum
- Pine Rest Christian Mental Health Services
- Wedgwood Christian Services
of traditional undergraduate social science students from the class of 2018 were working or enrolled in graduate school within six months of graduation.
Importantly, our recent graduates also shared that they love their work. Of respondents, 89 percent reported a genuine interest in what they are doing.
Cornerstone alumni are tireless in their passion to influence our world for Christ as servant leaders. You can find CU graduates building lives that matter at workplaces based in West Michigan and beyond.
- Bucknell University Counseling Center
- Kent County Juvenile Detention Center
- Meier Clinics-Chicago
- Pediatric Psychologists of West Michigan
- Starlight Ministries
Our Social Science Division students receive admission to respected graduate schools.
- Central Michigan University
- Grand Rapids Theological Seminary
- Michigan State University
- Spring Arbor University
- University of Michigan
- Western Michigan University
- Wheaton College
College Is About More Than a Degree
At Cornerstone, knowledge is about more than memorizing facts. Here, you will develop a deeper understanding of people, life and God. You will conquer challenges, grow in wisdom and make more memories than you can count.
For seven reasons on why a four-year, liberal arts Christian college is a great choice and wise investment, download our guide.