Language arts and reading are vital components of the Elementary Education curriculum. A Reading Minor prepares you to teach literacy and developmental reading courses in an elementary classroom upon successful completion of a state certification test.
As reading and language arts are a vital component of elementary curriculum, a Reading Minor is viewed favorably by principals during the hiring process.
Students taking Assessing and Correcting Reading Problems as well as Assessing Beginning Literacy tutor in West Michigan schools.
Student teaching opportunities in the West Michigan area are set up through the Teacher Education office.
- School: Traditional Undergrad Academics
- Division: Teacher Education
- Degree Type: Minor
- Format: Residential
- Location: Grand Rapids
A minor in reading for elementary teachers requires 22 credit hours.
- EDU-321: Children's Literature
- EDU-342: Developmental Reading & Language Arts Methods and Field Experience
- EDU-346: Reading and Writing in the Content Area (K-8)
- EDU-441: Assessing and Teaching Early Literacy
- EDU-445: Assessing and Correcting Reading Problems
- EDU-443: Severe Reading Problems and Field Experience
- LIN-225: Introduction to Linguistics
College Is About More Than a Degree
At Cornerstone, knowledge is about more than memorizing facts. Here, you will develop a deeper understanding of people, life and God. You will conquer challenges, grow in wisdom and make more memories than you can count.
For seven reasons on why a four-year, liberal arts Christian college is a great choice and wise investment, download our guide.