Social Studies Group is a major for secondary and elementary students within the Teacher Education Division. Graduates who pass the subject area test are certified to teach Social Studies at the elementary, middle or high school levels.
Download sample degree plans for a major in Social Studies Education.
- Major Credit Hours: 36 (requires minor)
- Application Deadline: Rolling admission
- Fall semester—August 15
- Spring semester—January 1
- Latin America
Major Courses and Catalog
In addition to completing the university's core curriculum and professional education courses, the Bachelor of Arts in Social Studies Group for Elementary and Secondary Education degree requires the following classes:
- ECN-231 Macroeconomics (3 credit hours)
- ECN-232 Microeconomics (3 credit hours)
- HIS-113 World Civilization I (3 credit hours)
- HIS-114 World Civilization II (3 credit hours)
- HIS-211 Michigan History (3 credit hours)
- HIS-221 United States History I (3 credit hours)
- HIS-222 United States History II (3 credit hours)
- SSC-161 World Geography (3 credit hours)
- SSC-211 American Government (3 credit hours)
- SSC-262 Geography of North America (3 credit hours)
- SSC-312 World Affairs (3 credit hours)
- SSC-451 Social Studies Research I (2 credit hours)
- SSC-452 Social Studies Research II (1 credit hour)
For course descriptions and graduation requirements, view the 2016-17 Cornerstone University Undergraduate Academic Catalog.