Those interested in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages can choose to go through our Associate of Arts degree in TESOL, or add TESOL as a minor under elementary or secondary education.
The program to become certified for this area is called TESOL or Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages. Teachers who become certified can teach in both public and private schools in the United States. Cornerstone University offers TESOL instruction leading to Michigan Certification. It is a minor program, which means that the student will also major or minor in another academic area in addition to TESOL.
- School: Traditional Undergrad Academics
- Division: Teacher Education
- Degree Type: Associate of Arts, Minor
- Format: Residential
- Location: Grand Rapids
- Major Credit Hours: 21
- Minor Credit Hours: 18
- Career Opportunities:
- Teacher in public or private school
- Teacher in urban or inner city school
- Application Deadline: Rolling admission
- Fall semester—August 15
- Spring semester—January 1
Download a sample degree plan for a major in TESOL.
Major Courses and Catalog
In addition to completing the university's core curriculum and professional education courses, the Associate of Arts in TESOL degree requires the following classes:
- ENG-319 Advanced Grammar (3 credit hours)
- LIN-225 Introduction to Literature (3 credit hours)
- LIN-371 Second Language Acquisition (3 credit hours)
- LIN-372 Sociolinguistics (3 credit hours)
- LIN-465 Methods of Teaching a Foreign Language (3 credit hours)
- LIN-489 TESOL Practicum (6 credit hours)
For course descriptions and graduation requirements, view the 2016-17 Cornerstone University Undergraduate Academic Catalog.