In preparation for completing the Federal Application for Student Aid (FAFSA), gather required documents and consider helpful tips. If you have questions during the application process, please contact Student Financial Services; do not pay anyone to file your FAFSA.
Before beginning the FAFSA, obtain necessary information for the application (for both parent and student): social security numbers, driver's license numbers, tax forms, information for untaxed income as requested, and asset information.
For priority consideration, complete the FAFSA by March 1. Use completed federal tax documents if possible when completing the FAFSA, keeping copies of all tax and income information for future reference. If your taxes are not complete in advance of the deadline, you may estimate your information, updating it later when the actual figures become available.
- Answer Questions as Instructed: Failure to answer items accurately will cause delays and may result in exclusion from consideration for specific aid programs.
- Cornerstone University's Federal School Code: 002266
- Indicate Your Gender: FAFSA can't determine your gender based on your name.
- Question 23: Do not leave the question blank. Enter "no" if you have never been convicted of an illegal drug offense.
- Question 26: Indicate whether you graduated from either high school, home school, or received a GED. If you select "None of the Above," you will be required to provide additional information to your school.
- Use the IRS Data Retrieval Option: You can elect to retrieve your tax information from the IRS. Allow about two weeks after you file your return for the information to be available. If you elect not to use the IRS data match, determine the type of tax form you filed (1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ) and refer to line numbers as directed in the instructions.
- Print a Copy of the FAFSA for Your Records Prior to Submission: If you do not receive a "Submission Confirmation," the FAFSA has not been submitted and no school will receive your information.
- Submission Deadline: Submit the FAFSA by March 1 for priority consideration of state of Michigan aid programs during the fall semester. Forms submitted after March 1 will still be considered for federal and institutional aid.
- The final deadline for filing your FAFSA is June 30, or your last day of enrollment, whichever is earlier.
- Verification Worksheet: If selected, please complete the 2015-16 Verification Worksheet.