Licensure Requirements by State

The Master of Arts in Counseling program at Grand Rapids Theological Seminary prepares you to apply for counseling licensure in the State of Michigan. The course curriculum required for the M.A. Counseling degree aligns with the requirements as defined by the state of Michigan to become a Limited Licensed Professional Counselor and ultimately a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) upon completion of state requirements.

If you are seeking to pursue licensure in other states, you must review the requirements of that state to determine if the M.A. Counseling curriculum at GRTS aligns with the state requirements. GRTS is not liable for students seeking to pursue licensure out of the State of Michigan. It is your responsibility to contact the state for which you are seeking licensure to confirm curricular alignment. Information regarding the licensing boards for each state is available below. Additionally, NC-SARA maintains a list of contact information for each state's licensing board at

Frequently Asked Questions

What is licensure and how do I obtain it?

You must become a Licensed Professional Counselor to work in any facility as a professional counselor within the State of Michigan. We have designed the Master of Arts in Counseling degree program at GRTS to meet the graduate school licensure requirements in Michigan. Upon graduation, you will qualify to apply for your Limited License as a Professional Counselor (LLPC).

Contact the Michigan Board of Counseling for more information regarding Michigan licensure requirements or to obtain a license application:

  • Address: Michigan Department of Community Health—Board of Counseling, P.O. Box 30670, Lansing, MI 48909
  • Phone: 517.335.0918

Michigan LPC Requirements

Can I qualify for licensure in other states?

Each state creates its own set of standards for professional counselors. In order to determine what those standards are, the American Counseling Association (ACA) has provided content specific to licensure in other states. If you believe that you will be moving out of the state upon graduation or shortly thereafter, please inform the Admissions Office during the application process. An admissions counselor will guide you in course selection.

The multi-state licensure specialization is typically the best choice for those hoping to practice out of state. Choosing the multi-state licensure specialization will allow you to take Abnormal Psychology; Addictions Counseling; Human Growth and Development; and Diagnostic and Clinical Assessment of Mental Disorders. A combination of these courses are often required in other states.

How do I get from LLPC to LPC?

In the state of Michigan, there are four steps that need to be completed before you can move from LLPC to LPC:

  • Complete 3,000 hours working as a counselor.
  • Attend supervision for at least 100 of those hours with an LPC who has the supervision credential.
  • Pass the National Counselor Exam (NCE).
  • Allow no less than two years to pass from the time you receive your LLPC to when you apply for your LPC.

What is the difference between LPC, LMSW and LLP?

An LPC is a Licensed Professional Counselor, an LMSW is a Licensed Master Social Worker and an LLP is a Limited Licensed Psychologist. Read our document LPC, LMSW or LLP to learn more about these three licenses.

What is the average counselor salary in Michigan?

Counselors usually begin employment with a salary anywhere between $30,000-40,000 when working for a local social services agency. Private practice and specialty fields can be two to three times higher than regular counselor salaries.

Average Counselor Salary

How do I network with other counseling professionals?

As you begin your degree program, we encourage you to consider getting involved in a few professional organizations for counseling professionals. These organizations offer professional development opportunities related to the field of counseling.