Enroll in a seminary program as an international student.

Congratulations on your acceptance to Grand Rapids Theological Seminary! As you prepare to begin your graduate program in the United States, use this helpful information to complete the final steps to enroll as a GRTS student.

Tuition Deposit

Once accepted for admission, you must send a tuition deposit of at least the cost of your first semester's tuition and fees. This total includes a tuition deposit and registration fee.

If for any reason you do not enroll as planned, we will return all of the funds to you and/or your financial supporters.

Student Visa

After receiving your tuition deposit, we will send you a Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status. This form is more commonly called the I-20. You can then apply for your student visa at the US consulate/embassy in your home country. You will also need to pay the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System processing fee as part of the visa process. The following documents are required in addition to the I-20:

  • A valid passport, which must be valid six months past the last date you expect to be in the U.S.A. (your expected time of graduation).
  • Proof of sufficient finances, which is your completed student financial support form, letters of support from each supporter and copies of bank statements verifying that those funds are available.
  • Proof of English proficiency, which may be either citizenship in an English-speaking country or TOEFL/IELTS scores.

Course Registration

When you receive your student visa, email the Admissions Office or call 616.222.1559. At that time, we will register you for classes for the fall semester; registration begins in mid-March.

You will also be required to attend New Student Orientation at the beginning of the semester.

Health Insurance

Contact the GRTS Admissions Office for health insurance coverage options that are available for GRTS students. Or, for additional resources, visit this informational website on International Student Insurance.

Graduate Student Employment

International students may apply for on-campus jobs as they become available. You will not be able to work more than 20 hours per week (even if employed in more than one job) as stipulated by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement regulations. The Admissions Office can assist you in applying for a U.S. Social Security number which you need to begin working.

Off-campus employment is only possible on an extremely limited basis in the event of financial distress. In such a case, you will need to apply with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services in order to receive an Employment Authorization Document (EAD). You are not eligible to work off-campus until you have received your EAD.

Scholarships and Financial Guidance Resources

All international students are considered for the Timothy Scholarship, which would cover a portion of your tuition costs. For more scholarship opportunities and information on student loans, visit these informational websites.