Deepen Your Biblical Knowledge
Seminary gives you the opportunity to dig deeper in the text of Scripture. Learning how to handle God’s Word under the direction of biblical scholars is foundational to seminary training. You can learn to engage the Bible in the Greek and Hebrew languages experiencing the texts in their original language. This builds a strong foundation for understanding and teaching the Bible.
Pursue Theological Development
Seminary is a place where you gain greater depth of theological understanding. Understanding the Christian worldview and exploring theological diversity is an incredibly valuable experience. The study of theology will deepen your understanding of the nature of God, His revelation, the personhood of Christ, God’s design for humanity, and much more. Historical theology classes will also allow you to engage the way God’s revelation has been understood throughout church history.
Dedicated Counseling and Ministry Training
Seminary provides you with the opportunity to explore different areas of ministry. Whether your passion is for youth ministry, cross-cultural ministry, Christian formation, or counseling, seminary is a place for dedicated ministry training. Ministry residency and internship opportunities provide a practical foundation for future positions.
Become Part of a Community
Making the choice to attend seminary means you have the opportunity to join a community of fellow learners. You will join others who are exploring the same questions and topics as you, learning together from professors who are specialists in their field of study. Seminary is a time for making deep friendships and lasting connections
A Time of Personal Growth
Seminary builds a framework for you to enhance your gifts and ministry preparation. Dedicating time and energy to your personal growth and formation is vital to your time in seminary. You will have the opportunity to grow in wisdom and discernment as you learn more about your unique call. Time spent in class, studying carefully selected readings, and conversations with others all help you grow. Seminary provides a season of dedicated time and space for you to build a firm foundation for ministry.
How do I choose a seminary?
There are a few important questions to ask when beginning your seminary search:
- Do I feel a call to serve others in ministry? Have others affirmed your call to serve in ministry?
- Am I committed to a specific denomination or do I want to attend an interdenominational seminary?
- Am I looking for a school that prepares me for ministry, future Ph.D. work, or both?
- Is the seminary in a location that offers the potential for an enriching ministry experience?
- Do the professors have a voice in current ministry topics? If so, are they faculty I desire to study under?
- Will I have the support from faculty and advisors I need in order to make the right decisions?
- Ask the pastors and spiritual leaders in your life about their own journey into ministry. Learn from their experience to gain a better understanding about what path might be right for you.
- It is also important to spend time in prayer, reading Scripture and allowing God to lead you. Seek the input of others. Ask your family and friends—those who know you best—to see if they think that attending seminary is right for you.