History of PGS

Learn the story behind PGS' worldwide impact

Cornerstone University is an evangelical Christian university committed to equipping students to effectively engage the cultures of our world for Christ. The university began as an evening Bible institute in the educational wing of the Wealthy Street Baptist Church in January 1941.

Two hundred and eleven students enrolled in Bible courses designed to make them more effective lay workers in local churches. The response to the program and the expressed desire of many students to enter into ministry led to the inauguration of a day Bible school in 1944.

In 1964, the college and seminary moved to their current 132-acre campus in Grand Rapids. In 1972, with the development of facilities, faculty and finances, the institution was approved by the State of Michigan as a degree-granting college of arts and sciences.

In 1993, the college instituted the Professional & Graduate Studies (PGS) program for adult students who desire to complete their college degree from a Christian institution. Since its inception, who desire to complete their college degree from a Christian institution. Since its inception, PGS has endeavored to empower the adult learner to influence the world by providing a distinctive and academically excellent education from a Christ-centered worldview. With ever-growing programs in education, ministry, human services, TESOL, and psychology. PGS' on-ground and online programs have impacted students worldwide.

Adult & Graduate