- Applicants must carefully review audition requirements and criteria.
- Complete the Music Division scholarship online application before January 16, 2015
- Applicants will be notified via email/phone by January 23, 2015 of audition date and time
- Attend live audition and complete musicianship tests: Vocalists on Friday, February 6, 2015 - Instrumentalists on Friday, February 13, 2015
- All applicants will receive results via mail by March 31, 2015
Music Scholarship Application
Prospective students who wish to be considered for a Division of Music Scholarship must audition in the spring prior to starting classes at Cornerstone University. In addition, scholarship applicants will audition at the end of their first semester for acceptance into the music program.
The Division of Music offers talent-based scholarships to eligible incoming freshmen or transfers. Awards range from $500-$6000.
Awards are based on:
- performance quality demonstrated in the audition
- successful completion of theory and sight-singing tests
- availability of funds
Music Theory Exam:
A written exam covering general music literacy. Each prospective student has 30 minutes to complete this exam. Elements include pitch notation, clef reading, major and minor key signatures, major and minor scales, rhythmic notation and time signatures.
This is a short assessment of the applicant’s musical ear. Students will be asked to match pitch inside and outside of their range, sing major and minor scales, sing musical patterns and sight read in treble and bass clefs.
Students for whom performing an on-campus audition is prohibitive (e.g., students beyond the tri-state area, international students) may request to submit a video audition via the internet or DVD (no professionally produced audio recordings permitted). Please email your requests to firstname.lastname@example.org.
All vocal and instrumental applicants are encouraged to employ an accompanist. Pre-recorded accompaniments are not accepted for any solo vocal or instrumental audition. A staff piano accompanist is available upon request. Applicants will have an opportunity to rehearse with the accompanist prior to the audition. (Guitar and bass guitar may use a pre-recorded track for a portion of their audition - See requirements.)
Applicants requesting a staff accompanist must mail:
- copies of their audition music
- staff accompanist fee of $10 (personal checks only)
Music and fee must be received at least two weeks prior to the audition.
Division of Music (Request for Accompanist)
Attn: Office Manager
1001 E Beltline Ave NW
Grand Rapids MI 49525
Continuation of scholarships
Scholarship recipients must maintain full-time student status, attain a B- or higher in all music courses, participate in the appropriate large ensemble and take applied lessons in their performance area every semester.