I have been married for over 28 years and have done youth ministry for more than 30 years. I have two amazing adult daughters. I invented a multi-level strategy game back in the 90s and still love playing it today. I would like to one day build my own Cedar strip canoe.
Awards and Recognitions
- Ruud Scholar and Ph.D. Program Scholar (Fall 1998 - Spring 2000)
- Board Member of North American Professors of Christian Education (6 years)
- Member of The Association of Youth Ministry Educators (2002 - Current)
- Dekker, J. (2013 pending). Generativity, covenant witness, and Jesus' final discourse. Ex Auditu: An International Journal for the Theological Interpretation of Scripture, 28.
- Dekker, J. (2011, July 1). Youth share faith: An interview with Ronald Keener. Church Executive.
- Dekker, J. (2011). Resilience, theology and the edification of youth: Are we missing a perspective? The Journal of Youth Ministry, 9(2), 67- 89.
- Dekker, J. (2007). A response to Robert Johnston: Discerning the spirit in culture. Ex Auditu: An International Journal for the Theological Interpretation of Scripture, 23, 70-73.
- Dekker, J. (2007). Integrating worlds: Youth ministry in the 21st century. Common Ground Journal, 5(1), 11-20.
- Dekker, J. (2007). What are we doing with the faith development of adolescents in service projects: A response to Sherr, Garland, and Wolfer. The Journal of Youth Ministry, 6(1), 55-65.
- Dekker, J. (2004, April). Do our high schools promote spiritual Maturity? The Christian Educators Journal, 43(4).
- "Generativity, Covenant Witness, and Jesus' Final Discourse"
- North Park Theological Seminary Symposium on the Theological Interpretation of Scripture, 2012
- Participated in a Mission Leadership Forum Addressing Dr. Dean's Work Almost Christian: What the Faith of Our Teenagers is Telling the American Church
- Overseas Ministry Studies Center, December 2011
- Participated as a Panelist Recommending Cultural Shifts in Adolescent Faith
- Overseas Ministry Studies Center, December 2011
- "Incarnational Youth Ministry and Contextualization"
- Association of Youth Ministry Educators, October 2011
- "Short Term Missions: Room for Refinement: Thinking Through Adolescent Capacities and the Impact of STMs and Service Projects"
- Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, 2009
- "Response to Robert Johnston's Discerning the Spirit in Culture"
- North Park Theological Seminary Symposium on the Theological Interpretation of Scripture, 2007
- "Response to Mark Allen Powell's Binding and Loosing"
- North Park Theological Seminary Symposium on the Theological Interpretation of Scripture, 2003
- "The Adolescent's Understanding of Respect"
- North American Professors of Christian Education Conference, 2003
- 2013, March 9: Evangelical Covenant Church Christian Formation Executive Committee (Chicago, IL)
- "Generativity and Christian Formation"
- 2012, April: Evangelical Covenant Church Central Conference Youth Pastors Gathering (North Park University)
- "Now for Some Good News About Youth Culture"
- 2011, April 17: Evangelical Covenant Church Canada Conference Annual Meeting
- "Adolescent Faith and Culture: Implications to Youth Ministry in the Church"
- 2010-2012: Joshua Generation Annual Conference Taylor University
- Three consecutive years presenting training seminars for fifty youth pastors
- 2010: Urban Youth Workers Institute's Regional Conference RELOAD (North Park University)
- "Between French Fries and Rice: Asian American Identity Formation and Related Youth Ministry Issues" (Co-presented with Joon Hwang)
- 2010, March 6: Leadership Matrix: Evangelical Covenant Church North Pacific Conference
- "Lead Pastor-Youth Pastor Relationship"
- 2004 - 2008: Youth Workers Connection: The Evangelical Covenant Church's Annual Conference for Youth Pastors
- Many workshops and presentations dealing with topics such as: Respect, Empowerment, Assessment in Youth Ministry, Teaching Churches, Youth Nexus, and Great Expectations in Youth Ministry
- 2008: Recharge (Evangelical Covenant Church, North West Conference Youth Ministry Conference)
- Workshop: "Hip Hop - Rap Redeemable?"
- 2007: Urban Youth Workers Institute's Annual Conference (Azusa Pacific University)
- Presented an elective workshop: "Urban Youth Ministry is Like...Considering Metaphors"
- 2006: Urban Youth Workers Institute's Regional Conference RELOAD (North Park University)
- Presented workshop: "Developmental Urban Youth Work"
- Dekker, J. (2007). [Review of the book The Hip-Hop Church: Connecting with the Movement Shaping Our Culture, by E. Smith & P Jackson]. Journal of Youth Ministry, 5(2), 102-106.
- Dekker, J. (2006). [Review of the book Men's Ministry in the 21st Century, by B. Lewis, ed.]. Christian Education Journal, 3(2), 427-429.
- Dekker, J. (2004).
- Dekker, J. (2004, November). [Review of the book The Search to Belong: Rethinking Intimacy, Community, and Small Groups, by J. R. Myers]. The Covenant Companion.
- Virtue Project Committee Member
- Provides leadership for the BRM Student Association (BRMSA)
- Certificate in Spiritual Direction, North Park Theological Seminary
- Ph.D., Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
- M.A., Calvin College
- B.Th., Tyndale College
—Resilience among at-risk youth of Alaska
—Adolescent understanding of respect
—Asian-American identity formation