Jonathan Greer, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Old Testament; Director of the Hesse Memorial Archaeological Laboratory
Grand Rapids Theological Seminary - Bible, Religion & Ministry ...more
Grand Rapids Theological Seminary - Administration ...more
- 2016 — "How Do You Define Cultic Context?" in The Five-Minute Archaeologist in the Southern Levant. Ed. C. Shafer-Elliot; Worlds of the Ancient Near East & Mediterranean Series; Sheffield: Equinox, 178-181.
- 2014 — "Power to Unite and Power to Divide: Sacred Feasting and Social Change at Iron II Tel Dan," in Feasting in the Archaeology and Texts of the Bible and the Ancient Near East. Eds. P. Altmann and J. Fu; Winona Lake: Eisenbrauns, 117–28.
- 2013 — Dinner at Dan: Biblical and Archaeological Evidence for Sacred Feasts at Iron Age II Tel Dan and Their Significance. Culture and History of the Ancient Near East 66. Leiden/Boston: Brill.
- 2012 — "Cultic Practices at Tel Dan—Was the Northern Kingdom Deviant?" Biblical Archaeology Review 38:2 (March/April), 26, 67.
- 2012 — "Scripts of Animal Sacrifice in Levantine Culture-History," with B. Hesse and P. Wapnish, in Sacred Killing: The Archaeology of Sacrifice in the Ancient Near East. Eds. A. Porter and G. Schwartz; Winona Lake: Eisenbrauns, 217–235.
- 2010 — "An Israelite Mizraq at Tel Dan?" Bulletin for the American Schools of Oriental Research 358: 27-45.
- 2007 — "A Marzeah and a Mizraq: A Prophet’s Mêlée with Religious Diversity in Amos 6.4-7." Journal for the Study of the Old Testament 32: 243–62.
- 2014 — "The Sanctuaries at Dan and Bethel," in SBL's NEH project Bible Odyssey.
- 2013 — "Dan (Place)," with D. Ilan in the Encyclopedia of the Bible and Its Reception: Volume 6.Eds. D. C. Allison; V. Leppin; C.-L. Seow; H. Spieckermann; B. D. Walfish; and E. J. Ziolkowski; Berlin: W. de Gruyter, 61-63.
- 2010 — "Deuteronomistic History," with G. Knoppers in the Oxford Bibliography Online: Biblical Studies. Ed. C. Matthews; New York: Oxford University Press.
- 2010 — "Kings, 1 and 2," with G. Knoppers in the Oxford Bibliography Online: Biblical Studies.Ed. C. Matthews; New York: Oxford University Press).
- 2015 — M. Steiner and A. Killebrew, eds. The Oxford Handbook of the Archaeology of the Levant, c. 8000-332 BCE. Oxford University Press, 2014; in the Bulletin for Biblical Research 24: 539-41.
- 2013 — A. Faust, The Archaeology of Israelite Society in Iron Age II (Eisenbrauns, 2012), in the Bulletin for Biblical Research 23: 403-5.
- 2013 — W. Mierse, Temples and Sanctuaries from the Early Iron Age Levant (Eisenbrauns, 2012), in SBL's Review of Biblical Literature.
- 2009 — V. H. Matthews, Studying the Ancient Israelites: A Guide to Sources and Methods (Baker, 2007), in the Toronto Journal of Theology 25: 142-44.
- 2007 — J. H. Walton, Ancient Near Eastern Thought and the Old Testament: Introducing the Conceptual World of the Hebrew Bible (Baker, 2006), in the Toronto Journal of Theology 23: 206-208.
- Ph.D., The Pennsylvania State University
- M.A. in Biblical Languages, Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
- M.A. in Old Testament, Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
- B.A., Messiah College
—Bible and archaeology
—Israelite religion and history
—Ancient Near Eastern languages and cultures