Along with directing the University Chorale and Credo, Walters also teaches Advanced Choral Conducting, Vocal Diction and Aural Perception at Cornerstone University, where he is Professor of Music and Director of Choral Studies. He earned the Doctor of Worship Studies degree from the Robert E. Webber Institute for Worship Studies in Jacksonville, Florida, and the Master of Music degree in Choral Conducting from Michigan State University under Dr. Charles Smith. He received his B.A. in Secondary Music Education from Calvin College, and a Diploma in Music Ministry from the Grand Rapids School of the Bible and Music.
Walters serves as a member of the faculty and Director of Alumni Activities for the Robert E. Webber Institute for Worship Studies where he edits and publishes Anamnesis: the IWS Newsletter and the Webber Quote of the Week, and plans annual post-graduate seminars in worship taught by leading scholars from around the world.
"It matters to me that Cornerstone University is equally committed to academic rigor and spiritual formation for our students, both of which are personal passions in and outside of the classroom and rehearsal room."
-Dr. Kent Walters
Presentations and Performance Tours
Walters regularly conducts choral clinics/workshops. 2017-18 appearances:
- Grand Rapids Christian High School, Grand Rapids, Mich.
- Potter's House High School, Wyoming, Mich.
- Plainfield East High School, Plainfield, Ill.
- Charlotte High School, Charlotte, Mich.
- Caledonia High School, Caledonia, Mich.
- Greenville High School, Greenville, Mich.
- Illiana Christian High School, Lansing, Ill.
- Wheeler High School, Valparaiso, Ind.
- Jenison High School, Jenison, Mich.
- Lowell High School, Lowell, Mich. (CU Choral Day)
Recent University Chorale Tours:
- Florida, 2011
- Michigan, 2012
- Europe (Hungary, Slovakia, Austria, Czech Republic, Germany), 2013
- Chicago, 2014
- East Coast (PA, NJ, NY, MA, CT), 2015
- Florida, 2016
- Europe (Hungary, Slovakia, Austria, Germany), 2017
- Midwest Tour, 2018
- Faculty Senate Member (2014-15, 2015-16)
- Virtue Project Advisory Council Member (2014-15, 2015-16, 2016-17)
- Academics-Discipleship Committee (2016-17)
- Worship Grant Committee (2017-18)
- D.W.S., Robert E. Webber Institute for Worship Studies
- M.M., Michigan State University
- B.A., Calvin College