Emphasis in Music Theatre or Theatre Arts
What can I do with this major?
Cornerstone Theater majors are able to find jobs in a variety of areas such as: Dance or vocal instructor, costume designer, theatre company manager, director, producer, actor, stage manager, and theatre teacher.
What are some interesting classes offered in this major?
- Play Directing teaches students to complete Hodge Play Analysis, blocking and learning about director-actor communication. Students will direct a scene from a play at the end of the semester.
- Principles of Acting allows students to learn acting processes, warm-ups, how to prepare for a role, numerous acting scenes, and character analysis.
- Ballet will teach students ballet techniques; emphasis is placed on alignment, integration and simple ballet movement.
What internships or partnerships are available with this program?
Students are encouraged to go on one of several theatrical exploration trips, to New York, Chicago, or Stratford, Canada, where they will meet performers and technicians and learn more of what it takes to succeed in the theatre business. Other students spend an entire semester in Chicago, interning with local theatres in a variety of roles. Still other students intern locally at Grand Rapids area theatres.
What are grads doing now?
- After spending three years as a TV actress in Taiwan, Ashley Dakin (’07) obtained her MFA in Acting at Regent University. While at Regent, she obtained her Actor Combatant status through the Society of American Fight Directors (SAFD). She also was On-Camera Talent with Studio Center in Virginia Beach where she acted in several commercials and obtained SAG-AFTRA eligibility. Currently, she is a theatre adjunct at Cornerstone University and Producer for Little Shop of Horrors.
- Michael Lynn ('09) uses his theatre major to manage his own production company, Character Driven Story LLC, in California
- Alyssa Karnes (’10) is a costume stitcher and seamstress at various professional theatres in Michigan and Tennessee.
- Meagan Cavanaugh (’10) is a full time stage manager at Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, VA.
- Amy Groen ('10) has been working at Thunder Bay Theatre in Alpena, MI since May, 2013, as an actress and the props mistress.
- Rebekah Hughes ('10) is living in L.A. and acting in Theatre and Independent film. Check out her profile at https://www.backstage.com/RebekahHughes/