Academic Programs


Tuition & Financial Aid

Student Experience

UndergraduateCollege Made Affordable,
Every Step of the Way

Undergraduate Grants

Cornerstone University partners with you every step of the way to help you pay for your education. We understand that navigating financial aid can be stressful, and we’re here to support you. The resources below detail grants that could be available to you as an undergraduate student.

Cornerstone Need Grant

These funds are available to students meeting specific need criteria based on a student’s estimated family contribution, academics, residency plans and other gift aid. The amount of the award is determined based on the same criteria.

Cornerstone University Ministry Major Grant

This grant is provided to Michigan residents who are ineligible for Michigan Competitive Scholarship or Michigan Tuition Grant funds due to their enrollment in a Christian Ministry major. Students must have attained junior or senior status and otherwise demonstrate eligibility for the MTG or MCS to be eligible for this grant. The amount of the grant is one-half of the state grant eligibility for the year.

Resident Need Grant

Awarded to students living in university residence halls who demonstrate financial need. These funds are available to students meeting specific need criteria based on a student’s EFC, academics, residency plans and other gift aid. The amount of the award is determined based on the same criteria.

Federal Pell Grant

A Federal Pell Grant, unlike a loan, does not have to be repaid. The Federal Pell Grant is a need-based grant awarded only to undergraduate students who are pursuing their first bachelor’s degree. In some cases, however, a student enrolled in a post-baccalaureate teacher certification program might receive a Federal Pell Grant.

You are not eligible to receive a Federal Pell Grant if you are incarcerated in a federal or state penal institution or are subject to an involuntary civil commitment upon completion of a period of incarceration for a forcible or non-forcible sexual offense. Amounts can change yearly. The maximum Federal Pell Grant award is $6,195 for the 2019-20 award year.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant

The FSEOG Program provides need-based grants to help low-income undergraduate students finance the cost of postsecondary education. When making FSEOG awards, the institution must give priority to those students with “exceptional need” (those with the lowest Expected Family Contributions, or EFCs, at the institution) and those who are also Federal Pell Grant recipients.

Students must file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as part of the application process for an FSEOG. For more information on FAFSA and the student aid award process, see the entry for the Federal Pell Grant Program.

Federal TEACH Grant

The TEACH Grant Program provides grants of up to $3,752 a year to students who are completing or plan to complete course work needed to begin a career in teaching. As a condition for receiving a TEACH Grant, you must sign a TEACH Grant Agreement to Serve in which you agree to (among other requirements) teach: in a high-need field; at an elementary school, secondary school or educational service agency that serves students from low-income families; for at least four complete academic years within eight years after completing (or ceasing enrollment in) the course of study for which you received the grant.

Each year that you receive a TEACH Grant, you must sign an Agreement to Serve on the TEACH Grant website. The agreement explains the terms and conditions for receiving a TEACH Grant. By signing the Agreement to Serve, you agree to these terms and conditions and acknowledge that if you do not fulfill the service obligation described in the agreement, the TEACH Grant funds you received will be converted to a loan that you must repay.

To receive a TEACH Grant, you must:

  • Meet the basic eligibility criteria for the federal student aid programs.
  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
  • Be enrolled as an undergraduate, postbaccalaureate, or graduate student at a school that participates in the TEACH Grant Program.
  • Be enrolled in a TEACH-Grant-eligible program.
  • Meet certain academic achievement requirements (generally, scoring above the 75th percentile on one or more portions of a college admissions test or maintaining a cumulative G.P.A. of at least 3.25).
  • For specific information about the academic requirements, talk to the financial aid office at your college or career school.
  • Receive TEACH Grant counseling that explains the terms and conditions of the TEACH Grant service obligation. You must complete counseling each year that you receive a TEACH Grant.
  • Sign a TEACH Grant Agreement to Serve.

Please Note: If you do not complete your service obligation, all TEACH Grant funds you received will be converted to a Direct Unsubsidized Loan. You must then repay this loan to the U.S. Department of Education, with interest charged from the date the TEACH Grant was disbursed (paid to you or on your behalf).

Michigan Tuition Grant

The Michigan Tuition Grant program is available to undergraduate Michigan residents with financial need who plan to attend or are attending independent, degree-granting Michigan postsecondary institutions. Applicants must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) prior to March 1 preceding Fall enrollment. Students are encouraged to file their FAFSA on the web. Paper forms are available from the Federal Student Aid Information Center by calling 800.433.3243.

Students must file a renewal FAFSA every year to determine possible continued program eligibility. Students are responsible for notifying the Student Scholarships and Grants (SSG) of a change in their college choice.

My parents don’t pay for a penny of my schooling, and Cornerstone did an amazing job financially to help me to come to the school that I fell in love with.

Joelle Henry (’22)

Admissions Office




MON - FRI: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
SAT & SUN: Closed

Want to Learn More About CU?

Connect With CU