Our admissions team is here to provide you with the information and resources you need to start your program with confidence. As an international student, there are some important additional steps in your application process. These include English language proficiency requirements, financial support statements and other documents necessary for your student visa application.
As an international student, you are eligible for a 10% tuition discount if you hold—or are in the process of obtaining—an F-1 visa. This discount applies to our associate, bachelor's and master's degree programs.
The following requirements apply to international students who are planning to attend courses on-campus with an F-1 visa. If you are interested in joining an online program, please connect with our enrollment team for more information.
Application Process for Admission
At Cornerstone University, the admissions process for international students is slightly different than for citizens or permanent residents of the United States. To apply for admission, we require these documents:
- Application for Admission: Submit our Adult & Graduate Application or Doctor of Education Application to apply for admission.
- Copy of Your Visa Documents: You need to apply for an F-1 student visa to pursue your studies in the United States. If you have already been issued with an F-1 visa or are already present in the U.S. under a different visa, contact us.
- Official Transcript(s): College and university transcripts must be evaluated and converted to U.S. equivalencies. Cornerstone recommends contacting Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc (ECE) to complete the evaluation process. All relevant documents should be sent to ECE directly. After the evaluation is complete, send us a copy of your course-by-course evaluation report.
- Affidavit of Support: United States visa regulations specify that international students must demonstrate that they have the necessary financial support for their education. This form provides a way for you to notify Cornerstone with evidence of your expected financial support. The PGS admissions team can provide additional details on anticipated program costs.
- TOEFL or IELTS Examination Score: If your primary language is not English, you must submit a TOEFL or IELTS score. The TOEFL or IELTS must be taken within one year of the admission application date. Our TOEFL institution code is 1253.
English Language Proficiency Requirement
International students who are not lifetime residents of Australia, Canada (other than Quebec), New Zealand, the United Kingdom or the United States (other than Puerto Rico) must demonstrate their English language proficiency with a TOEFL or IELTS examination score.
- Minimum TOEFL Paper-Based Test Score Requirement: 550 (or 577 if applying for a master's or doctoral program)
- Minimum TOEFL Computer-Based Test Score Requirement: 213 (or 233 if applying for a master's or doctoral program)
- Minimum TOEFL Internet-Based Test Score Requirement: 79-80 (or 90-91 if applying for a master's or doctoral program)
- Minimum IELTS Score Requirement: 6.5 (or 7.0 if applying for a master's or doctoral program)
Additional Documents Required for Enrollment
After you have been accepted, we will send you a Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status (also called the I-20). You can then apply for your student visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate. You will need the following documents in addition to the I-20:
- A valid passport, which must be valid six months past the last date you expect to be in the USA (your expected time of graduation);
- Proof of sufficient finances, which includes your completed student financial support form, letters of support from each contributing organization or individual, and copies of bank statements from the three most recent months verifying that those funds are available;
- Proof of English language proficiency, which may be either residency in an English-speaking country or TOEFL or IELTS scores;
- And an official acceptance letter from Cornerstone University.
As an international student at Cornerstone, you must also pay for health insurance. You will be charged a fee for insurance that meets the requirements set forth by our federal government.
Find Answers to Your Questions
We're here to help you with each step of the admission process. If you have a question, email the Admissions Office or call us at 800.947.2382.