Honoring your commitment to service.

If you have served our country as a part of the armed forces, you may be eligible to receive education benefits through the Department of Veterans Affairs. Whether you have been released from active duty, currently serving on active duty, are in the National Guard or Reserves or are a spouse or dependent of a veteran, you may be eligible for these benefits.

In 2014, G.I. Jobs Magazine named Cornerstone a Yellow Ribbon School and a Military Friendly School. The certifying officials at Cornerstone University look forward to assisting you in obtaining and using your benefits to help you meet your educational goals.

Receive Education Benefits

  1. To receive benefits at Cornerstone University, first-time applicants must submit a copy of your DD214; if you are on active duty, submit a copy of your DD220 (Active Duty Report).

  2. Please submit the Cornerstone VA Authorization Form to Cornerstone. You must submit this form each semester you plan to use your education benefits. This lets us know what benefits to certify.

  3. To apply for Education Benefits, go to Vets.gov. This will direct you to choose the e-benefits portal regarding your education benefits available.
    • A notice will come stating the benefits for which you are eligible, called a Certificate of Eligibility, which must be submitted to your Certifying Official at Cornerstone when received. Those who qualify for chapter 1606 or 1607 will need to submit a Notice of Basic Eligibility to your Certifying Official at Cornerstone.
    • If you have used benefits at a previous institution or will be changing your program, you must submit your Certificate of Eligibility or Notice of Basic Eligibility, as well as the Change of Program/Place of Training form to both the St. Louis Regional Office and to Cornerstone University:
      • Service members use form 22-1995.
      • Dependents of service members use form 22-5495.

  4. Receive Certification of Your Benefits: Your Cornerstone Certifying Official will certify your benefits according to your enrollment and billedcost of tuition and required fees. This certification communicates your enrollment and expenses to the VA so they can award your eligible benefits. Expect a 2-10 week time frame for all benefits to be received.
    • If you receive Chapter 30, 1606 or 1607, you must complete a Student Verification of Enrollment on the last day of the month or first day for the previous month. This is done through the W.A.V.E. portal.

  5. Receive Re-certification of Your Benefits by Term: Your Cornerstone Certifying Official will certify your benefits by term or class (PGS students) in advance to ensure timely awarding of benefits. You must notify your Certifying Official of all enrollment changes as far in advance as possible. If you register for a class, drop a class or change programs, notify your Certifying Official immediately.

Forms for Veterans

  • Authorization for Cornerstone Certifying Official to Certify Benefits Form (Coming Soon!): You must submit this form each semester that you wish to use your educational benefits.
  • Voc Rehab Request for Supplies (Coming Soon!)
  • Transfer students need to submit the Change of Program/Place of Training form to our office. Service members use form 22-1995. Dependents of service members use form 22-5495.
  • Enroll for Direct Deposit using form 22-0296.
  • No-cost medical treatment may be available to Soldiers and Veterans who have been injured within the last 3 years through the Wounded Warrior Traumatic Brain Injury Project.

Additional Financial Aid Information - Compliance Code Section 3679(e)

We, Cornerstone University, will permit any covered individual (a student who is entitled to educational assistance under chapter 31, Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment, or chapter 33, Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits) to attend or participate in the course of education during the period beginning on the date on which the individual provides to the Student Financial Services Office a certificate of eligibility for entitlement to educational assistance under chapter 31 or 33 (a “certificate of eligibility” can also include a “Statement of Benefits” obtained from the Department of Veterans Affairs’ (VA) website – eBenefits, or a VAF 28-1905 form for chapter 31 authorization purposes) and ending on the earlier of the following dates:

  1. The date on which payment from VA is made to the institution.
  2. 90 days after the date the institution certified tuition and fees following the receipt of the certificate of eligibility.

We will not impose to a covered individual any penalty, including the assessment of late fees, the denial of access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities. We will not require that a covered individual borrow additional funds because of the individual’s inability to meet his or her financial obligations to Cornerstone due to the delayed disbursement funding from VA under chapter 31 or 33.

Additional Resources

  • Military.com
  • Dept. of Veteran Affairs
  • Montgomery G.I. Bill®—GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.
  • Michigan Department of Military and Veterans Affairs—Our PGS students in the Michigan Army or Air National Guard can apply for the Michigan National Guard and Air National Guard Grant.
  • Federal Tuition Assistance—After being accepted and choosing a major at Cornerstone visit GoArmyEd.com.  Create a login at GoArmyEd.com, choose your major and select Cornerstone University once in your account. Students will need to upload a course planner such as a program evaluation (can be found online or from your advisor). After approval from GoArmyEd log back into your GoArmyEd account to select the courses you intend to take for the current semester. Then upload semester schedule and detailed bill from the Financial Aid Office. Classes must be approved before the first day of the semester in GoArmyEd so make sure this process is started early. 
  • Visit the Veterans Services page to find out about all programs and services provided by the VA. Veterans of the United States armed forces may be eligible for a broad range of programs and services provided by the VA. Eligibility for most VA benefits is based upon discharge from active military service under conditions other than "dishonorable," and certain benefits require service during wartime. If you are new to the VA, the Federal Benefits for Veterans, Dependents and Survivors booklet will help you get started.
  • Benefit Payment Rates—These rates are specifically for chapters 30, 1606, 1607 and 35, which are disbursed directly to the student.
  • Apply for VA Education Benefits using the Vets.gov system.
  • WAVE Benefits Enrollment Verification—Chapter 30, 1606 and 1607 students must complete a Student Verification of Enrollment on the last day of the month or first day for the previous month.
  • The Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) VetSuccess Program is authorized by Congress under Title 38, Code of Federal Regulations, Chapter 31. It is sometimes referred to as the Chapter 31 program.
  • VA Health Care—VA operates more than 1,400 sites of care, including hospitals, community clinics, community living centers, domiciliaries, readjustment counseling centers and various other facilities.
  • VA Disability Compensation—Disability compensation is a benefit paid to a veteran because of injuries or diseases that happened while on active duty, or were made worse by active military service. It is also paid to certain veterans disabled from VA health care. The benefits are tax-free.
  • VA Life Insurance—Benefits for veterans and service members who may not be able to get insurance from private companies because of the extra risks involved in military service, or a service connected disability.
  • VA Pension Program—Pension benefits are meant as assistance for eligible veterans, surviving spouses and children who demonstrate financial need.
  • Anthony Castelli Attorney's Veteran's College Scholarship is giving away an annual scholarship awarded to a current military veteran or honorably discharged veteran or parent, sibling, child or grandchild of a current or honorably discharged veteran.
  • Survivor Benefits
  • Burial and Memorial Benefits
  • HospitalAdministration.org