Dr. Sérgio da Silva earned his bachelor of arts degree from Faculdades Metropolitanas Unidas in São Paulo, Brazil, his master's degree from Universidade de São Paulo, and his Ph.D. from Central Michigan University. At Cornerstone, da Silva teaches a variety of psychology courses, including General Psychology, Statistics and Research Methods, Health Psychology, Physiological Psychology and Cross-Cultural Psychology.
Da Silva emphasizes the challenges and advantages of cross-cultural teaching. He strives to incorporate service in his students' learning experience and places an emphasis on involving students in practical research. Recently, da Silva received the 2012 Michigan Campus Compact Faculty/Staff Community Service-Learning Award.
Da Silva grew up in São Paulo, Brazil, and served as a pastor-missionary for 22 years with Trans World Radio. During his service in ministry, he produced and announced several radio programs, including the Portuguese version of Chuck Swindoll's Insight for Living.
"It matters that students learn to use what they learn at Cornerstone to serve others and contribute to offer enduring solutions for the problems of the world."
—Sérgio da Silva
- da Silva, S. P., vanOyen Witvliet, C., & Riek, B. (2016). Self-forgiveness and forgiveness-seeking in response to rumination: Cardiac and emotional responses of transgressors. The Journal of Positive Psychology, 449-459. doi: 10.1080/17439760.2015.1117125
- da Silva, S. P., & Backs, R. W. (2015). Cardiac response during auditory selective attention to tones and affective sounds. Psychophysiology, 52, 1099-1105. doi:10.1111/psyp.12432
- da Silva, S. P. (2012). Validity and reliability of a classroom heart-rate collection procedure, with application for assessing arousal related to test anticipation. Psychology Learning and Teaching, 11(2),186-193.
- da Silva, S. (2011). Review of the book natural reflections: Human cognition at the nexus of science and religion, by B. H. Smith. Christian Scholar's Review, XL(2), 220-223.
- da Silva, S. P., Hulce, V., & Backs, R. W. (2009). Autonomic control during sleep and sleep apneas. Sleep and Breathing, 13, 147-156. doi:10.1007/s11325-008-0228-0
- da Silva, S.P. (2009). Can a Christian really be a psychologist? The Banner, 144, 32-33.
- Backs, R. W., da Silva, S. P., & Han, K. (2005). A comparison of younger and older adults' self-assessment manikin ratings of affective pictures. Experimental Aging Research, 31, 421-440. doi:10.1080/03610730500206808
- Backs, R. W., da Silva, S. P., & Xu, X. (2003). Resting EEG asymmetry predicts performance in a simulated air traffic control task. Proceedings of the Twelfth International Symposium on Aviation Psychology, 65-69. Columbus, OH: Ohio State University.
- Assessment Committee Member
Da Silva loves strong coffee, has eaten roasted monkey with Indians in the Amazon, drives old yet dependable cars and has an obsession with Lord of the Rings.
- Ph.D., Central Michigan University
- M.A., Universidade de São Paulo, Brazil
- B.A., Biblical Seminary of São Paulo, Brazil
- B.A., Faculdades Metropolitanas Unidas, São Paulo, Brazil