Dr. Tim Detwiler teaches courses in communication studies with specialties in organizational behavior, media studies and rhetoric. He is a member of the National Communication Association, the Religious Communication Association and the Association for Institutional Research; he has presented papers and been involved in other professional capacities with each organization. In addition, he serves as a peer mentor/evaluator for the Higher Learning Commission.
Dr. Detwiler serves his local community as vice president for the Northview Public School Board, vice president of the Kent Intermediate Association of School Boards and a board member of the Michigan Association of School Boards (MASB). He works with the MASB by teaching and consulting with local school board members from across the state in the areas of monitoring organizational performance, social media and strategic planning.
"Teaching allows a professor the chance to enable students to grow personally and professionally. Teaching is a way to 'touch the future'.'"
Licenses, Memberships and Recognitions
- Trustee of Michigan Association of School Boards
- Board Vice President at Northview Public Schools
- President of Kent Intermediate Association of School Boards
- Member of the National Communication Association
- Ph.D., Communication and Media Studies, Penn State University (1991)
- M.A., Temple University
- B.A., Cedarville University
—Technology and culture
—Religion and the media