Find answers to your questions.

  • Q: Who is a minor?
    A: A minor is a person under 18 years of age.

  • Q: Why does a minor need a guardian?
    A: A minor is not of legal age to consent to medical treatment. A minor will need a signature from one of their parents or guardian before medical treatment can be given.

  • Q: Who can be a guardian?
    A: A minor needs a guardian when their parents are not living in the United States. A guardian of a minor must be 18 years old or older, a US resident, of sound mind, not convicted of a felony and capable of providing an active and suitable program of guardianship.

  • Q: What should parents of minors living outside of the USA do before sending their student to Cornerstone University?
    A: The parents should write a letter that gives the student's full name and date of birth, stating they agree that the named guardian is given decision-making ability for their minor child related to health care.

  • Q: What if your minor student comes to Student Health Services for treatment?
    A: The student will be assessed by a nurse. Before treatment or appointment with a medical provider can be given, the parent/guardian will be notified.

  • Q: What if Student Health Services needs to refer the minor to a health care professional in the community?
    A: The staff at Cornerstone University Health Services will inform the parents/guardian of this referral. The staff will ask that the parents/guardian assist in finding an adult to accompany the student to this appointment.

  • Q: What if the minor needs immediate emergency care?
    A: Please review the medical entrance forms. Parents of a minor signing the Authorization to Treat Form give Cornerstone University Health Services permission to carry out emergency care if necessary.