The Master of Divinity degree is the historical standard in academic preparation for both vocational ministry and advanced theological study. We designed our program to develop essential biblical and theological competencies in leaders of congregations and other ministries. The Master of Divinity degree is also an attractive option if you are interested in building a foundation for more advanced study.
The program emphasizes the study and interpretation of Scripture in the original languages, broad theological knowledge and the development of essential ministry competencies. Most students will complete 8 credits of Ministry Residency as part of the specialization. This will be both practical and applicable ministry experience.
- School: Grand Rapids Theological Seminary
- Division: Bible, Religion & Ministry
- Degree Type: Master of Divinity
- Format: Residential
- Location: Grand Rapids
- Program Length: 3-4 years
- Credit Hours: 94
- Greek and Hebrew language (35 credits)
- Theology (20 credits)
- Ministry leadership (13 credits)
- Specialization (15-17 credits)
- General electives (9-11 credits)
- Pastoral ministry
- Youth ministry
- Mission work
- Church planter
- Bible translator
- Non-profit ministry
- Pastoral counseling
Program Learning Outcomes
Through rigorous training in theology, church history, biblical languages and interpretation of Scripture, our Master of Divinity curriculum and course work requirements are designed to enable you to:
- Conduct disciplined biblical interpretation and application with reference to the Greek and Hebrew texts.
- State a basic understanding of the primary elements of Christian theology.
- Demonstrate knowledge, values and practices essential to personal spiritual formation.
- Exhibit knowledge, values and skills essential to effective ministerial and public leadership.
- Demonstrate basic competency in cultural intelligence and cultural exegesis.